brake lamp question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brake lamp question

Does anyone here have a source for converting a single wire tail lamp to a 2 wire for the old style Indian 101-402 models i.e. the socket and Bakelite piece? (No swap meets here on the Big Island in the middle of the Pacific.)

Try Kent Thompson [New Hampshire] I sold him a few N.O.S.

Comment

There are a couple of ways to do this. Both are easy and you can do them yourself. The easy way is to buy a 2 wire bulb connecter from Kent or on ebay. All you need is the bakelite barrel that has 2 pins instead of one, and swap it with the one you have. It is the same size and will slide right in. You need to rig up a switch and clamp off your brake rod, and run a second wire, also. The other way to do this is to make a bypass circuit with a resistor. You will still need the switch, but you can keep your single wire to the tail light.
      A. Bernhardt
      AMCA# 9726

Comment

Mahalo Duffey, a question to hunt him down, is he listed in the Roster or a Yankee Chapter member?

Comment

Mahalo Alex, do you know the key words he uses as I looked on eBay and came up with a big fat "0"?

Comment

I have a cigar box full of tail light parts single and double pole's and you can find kents # in the yellow page's if that doesn't work PM me and I'll send you his #
            Last edited by bill campbell; 12-09-2011, 05:28 AM. Reason: miss spelling

Comment

I have a 28 scout and my bulb is about half inch from contacting the contacts on the receptacle in the tailight. Am I missing something?? Seems like I have all the parts. Just is a bit short of contact by half inch. Tried everything, even different bulbs.
              D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Anyone on D's problem?? No knowing what housing you have I can only offer some general suggestions to diagnose it yourself.

My 1st suggestion is to examine the unit for damage. From you post I suggest you focus on the 'contact areas' on the sides and the bottom of the socket. Several causes, 1st with lamp removed, does the 'pin' at the bottom of the socket on the sides stick out ~1/4" and 'give', i.e. retract, into the Bakelite when gently pushed? If not then squirt some Kriol or thin oil on the pin until it shows some spring. If yes than next 2nd you should see, undamaged, 2 opposing 1/16" deep or so ' lamp pin locks' for the correct lamp. If buggered well then you have to hunt a new socket.

If undamaged, using a machinist's ruler, 3rd examine the depth between the pin area on the socket's sides and the floor of the pin area. This lets you know the seating of the Baklite piece. It should be ~1/16" different. If not perhaps the Bakelite piece is not properly seated - mine was dimpled but had not slipped.

If the Bakelite has slipped it needs to be re-staked to the main housing at a clearance less than what it takes to make lamp/pin contact.

Note: the dis-assembly experience on mine was, when the 3 dimples were drilled the Bakelite barrel/pin (barrel 9/16 dia 13/16 long) was pulled (gently!). I recommend gripping the threaded brass piece and working it to and fro - gently!!!

Does that make sense? - it's late..yawn g'night

Comment

Working...
                X