1929 Indian 402 Saddle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1929 Indian 402 Saddle

What is the general consensus on the correct saddle for a late 1929 402 police bike? Mine had a Persons King Comfort saddle but heard a Mesinger #2 is more accurate.

The saddle should be the "Short Nosed" full pan style. I have both the Indian Logo saddle and a Mesinger #2. They appear to be the same. The Mesinger was on a tandem seat set-up I bought to put on my late 29 402. I saw a tandem set-up at the 4 Cylinder Club Meet with a nice Mesinger #2 in the swap meet. Indian went back to the half pan later for some reason. The 1928 401, the late 29, and 2 1930 402's all had the "Short Nosed" full pan saddle that were on display and judged. The 1928 401 recieved best Indian 4 1928-1930. One of the 1930 402"s restorer recieved the Paul Pierce Award for excellence in restorations and willingness to share knowledge and help other enthusiasts. I'd say the seats were correct. The only thing is maybe the police model had a bigger seat? If you want a Mesinger #2 or Indian Logo style, Chuck at the Saddle Shop in Edgewater Florida can make one. He made my Indian Logo saddle from a pattern he made from an original, which are really hard to find. He can now do the Mesinger #2 because he used my original to get the leather stamp made when he recovered mine. Good luck with your 4. Brian Riegel #815.

Comment

I don't know if this will help-dated 1-28-30[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

The drawing is a half pan seat--I believe the correct saddle would be a Mesinger#3---

Comment

The drawing appears to be a Mesinger #3 for a 101 Scout, the half pan saddle and the shape of the spring bracket is correct for a 101. Tha bracket for the 4 is different, much tighter bends at the top and also wider overall width. Also an eliptical bend in the center top between the mounting tabs simular to the shape of the rear saddle support on the half pan style.

Comment

If this will help, my 401 parts book (to spring of 29 roughly) shows parts for a full pan (King Komfort) seat. However, the 402 supplement (Spring of 29) shows parts for what apears to be Messinger #3. I have a pic of my 29 when at the police auction in the mid thirtys with a Messinger #3 on it. This bike was delivered to the police, June 1 1929..By the time I aquired this my four, it had no saddle with it so I installed the full pan King Komfort as per the 401 parts book..My VIN is in the low 100's of about 500 built that year. If your VIN is closer to the 500 No., I think the messinger #3 is apropriate.......Joe
            Joe AMCA# 3435

Comment

Can anyone post some pics of the various seats mentioned? I have a seat that came with my 401, certainly "aged" but not in bad shape, and would like to compare to what is considered "correct"
              Thanks

Comment

Mine had a Persons King Comfort saddle when I found it.

Comment

Early 1929 Indfour saddle

Here is a bottom view of my Persons King Komfort Saddle on my 29 Four Cyl. I could submit the top view but its typical leather with stamped logo. let me know if you need that...Joe
                  Attached Files
                  Joe AMCA# 3435

Comment

Working...
                  X