Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chief left hand crankcase advise needed

Hi every body,

Can any one tell me how far the drive side outer bearing sleeve should protrude from the outside of the case? Reason being is that I just got some 40 Chief cases back from my motor machine shop and the bearing outer flange is now recessed by approx .040". Inside the screwed ring has a gap. Should the face be flush to enable correct end float setting. May be I should machine up a alloy spacer to remedy this?

Appreciate your help.

Tim Berry from the UK
    Regards

Tim

'36 four. '44 Chief & sidecar. '28 Scout. '67 XLCH. '70 BSA. and a Guzzi...............

"Just proud", is a phrase that comes to mind. Mike "Kiwi" Tomas ... actually, he was talking about the cork in the drive sprocket, but, .. how in the heck?

Comment

The few late Chief cases I have here have the bushing flush to .010" , 10 thousanths, lower than the case. How far into the case does yours project?? This doesn't sound good!
      Bob, Beard Machine, NJ

Comment

Hey Tim
        I did a little more measuring. I only have 1 perfect case here that's apart. But a real nice 50's Chief case, the drive race is between 1.450" and 1.453" BELOW THE MACHINED sealing surface of the case. The "lip" is not machined, but from the lip, which is about .033 high, the measurement would be 1.480" to 1.483" below the lip.
        Hope that helps, you should NOT have a space below the nut. What year is this? I take the races out in the oven, 350 to 400 degrees and they almost fall out.
        Bob, Beard Machine, Inc

Comment

Hi Bob,

Thanks very much for the advice, I made an alloy shim to bring the outer face of the bearing 010" below the case, I'll let you know on the final measurements when I have it pressed in tomorrow. The crankcases are 1940 apparently.
          Regards

Tim

'36 four. '44 Chief & sidecar. '28 Scout. '67 XLCH. '70 BSA. and a Guzzi...............

Comment

Hi Tim
            I hope that you're not really "pressing it in". Again, heat is the way to work with aluminum, weather it be engine cases or trans case. Pressing will surely break something. I hope you're going to line hone these when you're done.
            Bob

Comment

Working...
            X