not a Motolamp, what is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not a Motolamp, what is it?

This is the headlamp that came with my '46 Chief project. From everything I've read and seen the original headlamp would have been Motolamp. This one has zero markings on it and is sealed beam, 6.75" i.d. on the bucket.

One fellow I talked with who has restored a few Chiefs told me that it was not uncommon for Indian to run out of a particular part during production and then to substitute a different part for a short production run.

What do you think I've got here? Thanks!headlamp_shell.jpgshell_inside.jpgring.jpg
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Looks similar to a Cycle Ray but with some obvious differences. Not sure if it is a repo or another maker of the period.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
    AMCA #12766

Comment

It looks like a Deitz which was used on the '48 Chief and the Deitz logo was plainly stamped in the bucket. There is a Deitz knockoff (un-marked) that is used by hot-rodders and I think that is what you have.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks for the two ideas... boy, I went over the whole bucket and ring again (with my reading glasses!) and there is not a trace of a mark on either one anywhere. Bucket and ring are chromed brass, rivets are steel and backing plate is steel, too.

Came with a Westinghouse 4030 bulb (6 to 8 V), and the whole thing looks appropriate for the bike... so I'll guess it's going back on!

Comment

It is an aftermarket lamp. Sold by Beck, ETC..
          Be sure to visit;
          http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
          Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
          Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

That's great information, thanks!

Likely somewhere along the line an owner wished to "upgrade" to a sealed bulb unit and this is what he found (judging from the condition of the chrome the changeover didn't happen recently). The original unit, hopefully, went to a swap and is now riding around on a 100-point Chief somewhere!

Comment

Working...
            X