Scout or Chief?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scout or Chief?

I have owned an Indian bobber for 20 plus years, the motor number starts with CDF. The number on the frame rear axle starts with 237. Where the 45 and 74inch rolling chassis's the same in 37, did they use the same wheels and front ends and also sheet metal?

Scout or Chief...

In 1937, the 45s and 74s had the same frame. The front fender was common for 45s, 74s, and 4cyls. The rear fender was the same for 45s and 74s. Tool box and chain guard same for 45s and 74s. Wheels/spokes the same, but not sure on the hubs or brake assemblies. Leaf spring front end; they are the same. Hope this helps...Bones

Comment

Thanks, helps alot knowing for sure. I've always liked the handling of this machine with it's 18 inch wheels and hard tail frame. The leaf spring front end is surprisingly a very smooth ride.

Comment

scout or chief...

I'm looking to start a '39 Chief project in the next couple years. I have the front end, but nothing else. I really am curious as to the handling of the leaf spring/rigid Indians...

Comment

Originally posted by BONES47FL View Post
          In 1937, the 45s and 74s had the same frame. The front fender was common for 45s, 74s, and 4cyls. The rear fender was the same for 45s and 74s. Tool box and chain guard same for 45s and 74s. Wheels/spokes the same, but not sure on the hubs or brake assemblies. Leaf spring front end; they are the same. Hope this helps...Bones
          The STANDARD SCOUT and Chief had the same frame, in fact the standard scout simply had a 45" engine installed in an otherwise Chief motorcycle. I think they made the standard scout from 33 to 37. ....... the sport scout (34 thru 42) had a keystone frame, 2-piece, and trussed girder fork, rigid rear. Fenders on sport scouts are debated, but true to form seems to be same for 34-36, 37-39, then 40's changes. In 37 -8-9 the ss wore the same fenders as chief and four, same shape, valance, etc, with bracket differences.

..i think, ...

Comment

Working...
          X