48 chief quits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 48 chief quits

i have a 48 chief i ride alot and have a problem often with the engine just quitting for no reason , then i pull over give it a kick and its fine , ive checked everything i can think of , vents ,electrical ,carb, i dont know if this is just the nature of the beast with this carb but if anyone has any suggestions i am all ears,
    tired of stopping, chris

I'm NOT a very smart guy. This is just a guess.
    Is the coil shorting out when it gets hot, via engine heat? You pullover -it cools, and then will start again.

Are you using a mag?

Check the outer coil case for crush marks. If your super thrifty like me. It is possible to repair the break in the coil.

Comment

Do you have power when getting on the throttle? I had trouble w/ my '47 where it would start & idle great but had no power after 30mph. Bad coil, had enough to spark @ low rpm but not enough guts when needed!

Comment

thanks guys, i found a large dent in my coil and it is facing the engine , this sure seems like the problem, will fix and hit the road as soon as the ice clears, thanks again, chris

Comment

Great!
          Uhh-ohhh... now I feel smart.

Well, In truth. Had the same problem 3 yrs ago. Took a while to figure it out.

Comment

Working...
          X