1946 Ignition switch repair

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • PaulCDF
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2019
    • 1406

    #1

    1946 Ignition switch repair

    Anyone have any suggestions, advice, instructions for rebuilding a Ignition switch on a 46?
    I believe I have developed an internal short::
    When I depress the horn it has started acting like a kill switch.
    Well what can one expect after 80 years loyal service?
  • pisten-bully
    '46 Chief rider
    • Jul 2010
    • 1667

    #2
    Paul, I'd start by checking everything related to wires to and from the switch and horn. The way the switch and horn are wired lends itself to several sharp and cramped bends...especially where the wires connect to the switch terminals and then drop down below the mounting plate, and then the horn wire through the bars, and the horn itself needing to be insulated from the chassis.


    sort of a rat's nest:

    IMG_0132.jpg
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

    Comment

    • pisten-bully
      '46 Chief rider
      • Jul 2010
      • 1667

      #3
      ...then if you really eliminate a chafed wire, etc. and you want to open the switch:

      remove the wires from the switch, then take the switch off the mounting plate:
      P1010001.jpg

      remove the brass bar and screws:
      P1010002.jpg

      split the switch case in half:
      P1010003.jpg

      remove the round insulating sheet so you can see the terminals inside the switch:
      P1010006.jpg

      this is inside the switch, the key rotates the piece and the spring loaded contacts move around and make contact with four terminals at a time:
      P1010002.jpg
      Last edited by pisten-bully; Yesterday, 08:34 AM.
      Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

      Comment

      • tfburke3
        Senior Member
        • Oct 2011
        • 960

        #4
        There is no ground in the switch to cause short,unless you have mag switch.I would check battery voltage when blowing horn.
        I doubt the problem is in the switch.
        Any positive wire touching ground would be apparent without touching horn button.
        The horn negative ground to button would result in horn always on if shorted to ground.
        Tom
        Last edited by tfburke3; Yesterday, 10:36 AM.

        Comment

        • Skirted
          Senior Member
          • Sep 2012
          • 700

          #5
          My guess is you have low voltage/battery/charging system issue. A horns operation is dang near a dead short and draws a lot of power. Seen this happen. Hit horn button and bike dies because no juice left for the ignition.
          Jason Zerbini
          #21594
          Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
          Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/ PHOTOS INSIDE

          Comment

          • FLFD7
            Senior Member
            • Feb 2021
            • 736

            #6
            If you are going to open the switch back I suggest you do it inside a plastic bag. Often when you pull that center part out it sends the springs and brass barrels flying. Don't ask me how I know.
            Joe

            Comment

            Working...