No announcement yet.

Indian speedo prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The social aspects are worth it. I personally really enjoy it alot.
    When the hobby turned into a full time business it did change alot. Sadly.
    Yes, we help each other out in our chapter. A member has a genuine need - guys will try to help him.

BUT! At the same time you have to consider how many things are now available because of that fact. Parts that have been reproduced by someone with deep enough pockets to support the manufacture, distribution and warehousing. And alot of times they ain't makin a ton of doe doing it. Serious long term payoff. My hat off to the guys that do it. Just consider the number of antique bikes that have been bolted back together, and are back on the road.
    This, I am very thankful for.

Comment

Hey Eric,
      Be sure and come see us! We are pretty much there just for the socializing!! Same space as always, right by the entrance to the horse arena.

Comment

Looking forward to it Danny.

Comment

Its been years since I could afford anything at a swap meet besides a T shirt or something like that. Only one of my machines has a speedo, just cant afford them - Ive gotten used to doing without them, I think the hobbie was a much better place before things got so expensive. When people helped each other out on occasion, not for the money but just to help out a fellow entusiast.
          My Hend rebuild was quite the challenge and out of my budget range. I ran into a fellow club member who needed assist with his paint job. We talked and thought maybe we could help each other out. Thats what we did - my engine was done in short order and he had a paint job he loved. Andy Davies bless his heart was a retired automotive machineist with 40 years experience. My Henderson purrs like new and Andies machine got peoples choice at the first meet he took it to. We were both pleased as heck and saved alot of money in the process. Needless to say we became good friends and went riding together on several occasions. When I take the Hend out on a weekend morning I often think of him and the grin he always got when he heard it run.
          So theres still folks out there helping each other out and not trying to make a killing or get rich off their parts. I have tried to do the same and have helped if I could a friend in need, still lots of good folks in this club,Tom.

Comment

One other thing, I had a buddy who made up some parts at quite an expense to himself. Well he had those parts or atleast some of them on his shelfs for almost 20 years before he sold them all, so your right - the guys doing it deserve alot of credit, I just think the hobby was much more friendly when it was not so price driven, which is what I think is or has happend, Tom.

Comment

I agree with you 110% and it seems life it self was a lot more pleasant then also!

Comment

i had a friend who was my mentor during my childhood. i spent hour after hour at his house ,working for him ,and enthralled by his 2 indian chiefs.they were offered for sale to me shortly before and after a 4 year stint with the 2nd division.but i was young,newly married , and had a son on the way. he and all his buddies had indians, it was quite a sight to see him have a house party and see 25 indians in his yard!not an h.d to be found.these guys traded parts and made concerted efforts to keep each other on the road.(fast forward 20 years)i now have my own indians and all these guys dont ride any more , i am really the only guy ridin a chief around these days .anyways my "mentor "comes up to my house one day (1st time in 10 years)and tells me he wants to turn a bobber indian he has back into a stock bike.i thought that this guy was coming back out of the closet and gonna start riding again , so i sent him home with baskets full of parts.(you all know what the stuff costs)no money changed hands , it was my way of saying thanks for the introduction to old bikes and the comaraderie that follows .2 or 3 months after sending him home with a bunch of stuff i happened to be perusing our local "auto trader "and lo and behold his bike was for sale as a restored chief.no offer was made to me to buy it nor did he even tell me his intention was to sell it .im still convinced the motivation here was the almighy dollar .wouldnt it be nice to trade parts for motor work or a paint job etc .these guys even traded labor when one was building a house etc.those must have been the days .funny thing is this all was going on in the early 80,s (not that long ago)

Comment

It's the money that does it. Money will always wreck a good thing. Chiefrider, I had a similar thing happen with an old motorcycle friend, but I still value his friendship and I just try to remember all of the things he did for me and helped me with. As you get older and wiser in this hobby, you learn not to let the deals get too out of line.

Comment

my buddy and i still get along. i stop in and see him when im deer hunting or just out for a bike ride.however the subject of chiefs doesnt come up much ,im sure he realizes he may have made an error in taking the parts and not offering me 1st refusal .........actually i know this cause his wife told me so ,it appears he got a severe *** chewing from her when the day came that the bike went away.i did stop down and see him on my "new"48 i bought a couple of years ago ,he told me to get off the bike and he proceeded to take it around the block(hes about the only guy to be able to get away with that!but after all ,when i was 12 he had me riding his 47 bobber up and down the dirt road in front of his house.

Comment

Working...
                    X