Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wallowed-out kick start stud hole

Hello Everyone,

The frame I am working on has a wallowed-out hole where the kicker stud goes. I know they make oversized studs, but the hole will have to be cleaned up. I'm guessing I will need the .030 o/s stud. Ideally, I should take the frame to a machine shop and they would set it up on a mill and bore to size. Is there a more practical way to do this like drill it out to as close as you can get and use an adjustable reamer to bring it to size? The downside to the practical approach is my unique ability to drill a hole crooked - even following an existing hole. :-(

My 47 needed the over sized kicker pin also. I started with trying to insert the pin in the frame and then cleaning up the areas that were dragging the most. It still needs to be tight so I left enough meat for an interference fit. I applied Loctite 603 green bearing retainer and drove it in with a brass mallet the final 1/2" in. Then I used Loctite red on the set screw. If I ever need to remove these items they could be removed with heat from a propane torch. Map gas might be a little too hot. This repair has lasted 30 years so far.

ezgif-2-1bca0947db.jpg Opera Snapshot_2024-07-28_053704_www.jerrygreersengineering.com.png DSCN2851.JPG

Comment

BTW the areas that don't usually need to be relieved are below the pin and above the pin towards the back due to the downward force that caused the problem in the first place. However if you can swing it, re-welding the hole and then machining it out is the best repair for that problem.

Untitled.jpg

Comment

...you could give an inexpensive brake cylinder hone a try, worked for me. Short bursts of honing and repeated checking with a bore gauge. It might work!
        Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Thank yup all for responding. The kicker hole is wallowed out too much for Greers o/s stud, so I am dropping the frame off at a machine shop tomorrow. Whatever dimension the hole ends up at I will have my brother (a machinist but 650 miles away) make me one for slight press fit.

Comment

Do you have the stud center to main shaft center dimension?
            Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tfburke3 View Post
              Tom
              No - they will have to indicate from deeper in the hole where its not buggered up

Comment

Originally posted by tfburke3 View Post
                Tom
                Tom, to make certain the kicker doesn't wind up being too far or too close to the kicker gear?
                Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Yes,the stud needs to be the correct distance from the mainshaft,and parallel.
                  If there is some good part of hole to index off of that makes it easier.
                  I have a 47 frame that has large braze jog to secure the pin that I think I will have to grind stud flush and bore new hole,or ideally,and maybe easier,replace the casting .
                  Tom

Comment

Kiwi Mike has an offset kick pin that will return the kicker to where it belongs.

kick pin offset.jpg

Last edited by DEEBS47Chief1991; 07-31-2024, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DEEBS47Chief1991 View Post
                      Kiwi Mike has an offset kick pin that will return the kicker to where it belongs.

kick pin offset.jpg

Yes, but the problem (I think) is trying to rotate it in the frame when you have a press fit

Comment

True but it's easier than the alternative.

Comment

I think the Kiwi offset shaft can bring the kicker closer or further away from main shaft to adjust gear mesh ,but would disagree with it correcting for misalignment or a bent frame.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                          X