Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd Numbers on Case

Is this a number with meaning? It’s stamped on my 52 LH
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Possibly an ex LA California police bike. Police numbers.

Comment

That's some amazing hammer bounce, Joe!

(Especially upon cast aluminum.)

At least they appear to be Millers Falls stamps.

I imagine there may have been other fleets in L.A. than law enforcement as well; Otherwise, why bother?

....Cotten
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I don’t know what it indicates but I’ve seen similar markings on H-D crankcases.
        Eric

Comment

Since the bosses on the 2 HD numbers look altered ( to me) The SP could mean Special Construction numbers or DRF I believe they used to call them out here in California before they started with the blue tags which are glued on now but used to be riveted. The CHP with the DMV would do it to make a restamped case legal. My friend has an old Cal DRF Knuckle back in Vermont. Not AMCA kosher but legal and goes down the road.
          DrSprocket

Comment

Originally posted by RichO View Post
            Since the bosses on the 2 HD numbers look altered ( to me) The SP could mean Special Construction numbers or DRF I believe they used to call them out here in California before they started with the blue tags which are glued on now but used to be riveted. The CHP with the DMV would do it to make a restamped case legal. My friend has an old Cal DRF Knuckle back in Vermont. Not AMCA kosher but legal and goes down the road.
            A 'boogered' Pan came *through* my shop, Folks,..

With an ISPXXXX+ VIN, and an Indiana title, so it was represented to be Indiana State Police.

Illinois State Police said such a thing never existed!

The previous owner was a local doing time for murder.

....Cotten
            Last edited by T. Cotten; 07-30-2024, 05:32 PM.
            AMCA #776

Comment

My first guess was something Sammy Pierce did. Weird that Eric showed two different cases that both start with SP24 and end in LA, like mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe G View Post
                My first guess was something Sammy Pierce did. Weird that Eric showed two different cases that both start with SP24 and end in LA, like mine.
                Did Sammy deal with brandx, Joe?

....Cotten
                AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post

Did Sammy deal with brandx, Joe?

....Cotten
                  I didn't think so. There's a reason they called him Mr. Indian :-)

Comment

I have a photo of another one in the SP24+++LA range but it’s a Harley Flathead 45ci. When it was discussed a while ago someone said LA may have indicated Louisiana although no evidence was posted.

Regarding the 55–64 Pan left case I posted earlier it also has SP24+++LA stamped underneath and the accompanying R-H case has it underneath as well. Both cases cast in October 1960.

Another example is this BT Flathead but it’s in the 25+++ range. This had a Mississippi title and was said to be a 1943 Special Construction. Why 1943? Perhaps because its BNs are from that year (43-2+++).
                    Eric

Comment

Working...
                    X