A couple questions on a Schebler DLX81 Carb for '32 Chief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple questions on a Schebler DLX81 Carb for '32 Chief

Hey all. I have a couple of questions on Carbs that I hope you can help me with. I currently have a Schebler DLX81 that I am trying to rebuild. (1 1/4- 15/6) First question: I don't have a bowl for it and I have been searching high and low to try and find the correct one. I believe that Tom Cotten attached a picture to a thread on this forum a few months back that showed me what was correct. from a "bowl" perspective. I believe that he stated that a short nose tin top bowl is what was correct for a '32 Chief. Is the long nose tin top also possibly correct, or is it just one or the other? Second question: My DLX81 has some bad threads on the bottom of the stem that fits inside of the bowl and the pot metal is pretty buggered up. Someone braised or soldered a brass threaded fitting on the end, but it is a bit too long and bowls aren't fitting correctly. I also have a pretty perfect DLX91. Not sure of the specs on it, but I have found old threads on this forum where others have stated that they think that a dlx91 was a 1 1/4 carb that was for '32 to '33 Chiefs that probably went overseas. I'm wondering if that carb would have the same specs as my DLX81? They Appear identical in every way. Any thoughts on whether or not the DLX91 would work for my '32 Chief application vs the DLX 81? (meaning do you think that it is 1 1/4 - 15/16) Last question: With the DLX91, would that be a long nose tin top bowl or a short nose tin top bowl? Thanks for any and all of your thoughts. Have a great day. Brent Dawson.

I really don't know when they switched from short to long bowls, Brent,...

My '22-'30 Parts List reprint arrived missing pages 20 and 21, covering DLXs, so I cannot compare numbers for clues. (If anybody can scan them, it would be greatly appreciated!)
    We know they were all long bowls by '36, because only the long bowl and cover is listed in the '36-'40 Parts List (and the '40 'beanpot' of course), so without a '30-'36 List, we will never know the changes.
    (Anybody scan one for us?)

ZAMAK requires pretty exotic filler rod to stick to it, so any "solder" repair to brass is miraculous. If the thread appliance is straight and secure, I would just trim it on a faceplate...

FACEPLT.jpg

Although somebody sent me a pic of the model stamp, I have never encountered a DLX91, nor can I find it in any common literature. Unknowns always get the 'export' or 'commercial' catagory.

If your DLX91 fits to the same manifold as your DLX81, then it is a 1¼" model also.

....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 07-11-2024, 10:52 AM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Brilliant fixture, Tom. I think the machining, and repairs can be as, (or more) interesting than the motorcycles.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
        Brilliant fixture, Tom. I think the machining, and repairs can be as, (or more) interesting than the motorcycles.
        Its the faceplate that came with my Logan, Eric.

The rest is tinkertoys, and patience. ("Brilliant" is my fixture for slotting carb shafts on the lathe.)

I wonder if HD parts lists would shine some light, since Indian lists seem extinct.

....Cotten

AMCA #776

Comment

Thanks Tom. Just a couple of pics of what I have going on with the DLX 81. Not sure I have the abilities/tools/know-how to make it functioning. Attached a pic of the DLX91 alongside of the DLX81 as well.
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

I'm not sure even I have the skills for that one, Brent!

It appears the thread appliance was anchored by slathering solder over the brass welchplug on the bowlstem. I'd move on to the 91. (Anything is repairable, but at great expense.)

A brief review of HD lit suggests theirs had short bowls through '32, and perhaps the first half of '33 when Linkerts were introduced.

Once again, we need '30 to '36 Indian literature.

....Cotten

AMCA #776

Comment

Thanks for the input. Will probably go the route of the dlx91. Here are 3 pics of a bowl. Hoping that you detectives out there know what it is. Could it be a short nose tin top bowl used on Schebler DLX's? Or is it something different? thanks again.
              This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by bdawson View Post
                ... Could it be a short nose tin top bowl used on Schebler DLX's? ...
                It looks like one to me, Brent!

Did you find a floatlever (or needle or seat)?

There were at least two (on the left, and used different needles and seats), far right is long bowl,..

POTLEVRS.jpg

..shown to the left in second pic; 'Beanpot' valve farthest left....

SHBVALVS.jpg

...Cotten
                PS: I've a spare lid, but its my reference.
                Last edited by T. Cotten; 07-15-2024, 06:32 AM.
                AMCA #776

Comment

this is what I have.
                  This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Looking decent on the valve, lever, and lid, Brent!

But the float looks pretty funky (it could even be one of mine, but distorted from upside down installation: Pivotnut reversed), and everything in the baggy is suspect by virtue of the source.

....Cotten
                    Last edited by T. Cotten; 07-11-2024, 05:18 PM.
                    AMCA #776

Comment

The Harley Scheblers and parts books may help. They show the 1916-30 bronze bowl Scheblers with the integral seat using the left hand float lever shown in Cotten's picture. On the Harleys, they went to the pot metal Scheblers in later 1930, with the DLX 80 used on the 1930 VL, then the DLX 85 in 1931, DLX 88 in 1932, and DLX 92 in first 1933 before Harley switched to the Linkerts. The corresponding float levers are described as being used 1931 and first 1932 on the 74s and later 1932 to first 1933 on the 74s. These are presumably the other two shown in Cotten's picture.. For Harleys the float lever then went to the long running 1933 and up style. If the Harley info carries across to Indian, it looks like you can use either tin-top Schebler pot metal bowl/float lever combination on a '32 depending on engine number. The DLX 91 might just be OK for a late 1932 Indian. Those pot metal Scheblers have not lasted well, because of the corrosion around the base threads and high speed needle threads. If you a building a 'rider' rather than an AMCA judged bike you will find that the Linkert bowl assembly fits those 1930s Scheblers and is easier to find.
                      Last edited by Steve Slocombe; 07-17-2024, 05:18 AM.

Comment

Great info, thanks for the knowledge, I really appreciate it.

Comment

Way back when, Folks,..

George Yarocki posted literature that spec'd the ZAMAK potmetals first produced in June of '29.

But I didn't have the cyber chops at the time to save it successfully.

....Cotten
                          AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                          X