Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alternative Cycle Electic regulator for a Cycle Electric IN-5000 Generator ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative Cycle Electic regulator for a Cycle Electric IN-5000 Generator ?

As part of a 10 year rebuild of my 1939 Chief, I promised myself I would remove the CE built in regulator end cap and put the CE (harley #30132-61) bell end cap in its place. This was done for aesthetic and practical reasons of which quite a few of us have spoken of before.

I tried my best to fit the CE built in regulator end cap elsewhere on the bike and wasn't happy with wherever I placed it as it is so bulky. So I'm looking to fit a CE-100 series regulator which would appear to be much slimmer and easier to hide and mount, only problem is, which one is a similar spec to the one I've taken off my IN-5000 ?

Unfortunately all the CE 100 series regulators are only listed in the catalogue for specific early Harley sportster models. I emailed a CE agent in Tennessee having told them what I was looking for and asked if the CE-104 would be suitable and they admitted that they had insuffcient data on the product to make a conclusive decision. However what I do know is that I must use a Cycle Electric regulator as it regulates both voltage and current to prevent damage to generator.

I would like to contact Cycle Electric, but I'm not a trader, they also don't appear to have an email contact for technical questions.
    I appreciate any help or advice on this matter
    AMCA#24040 - too many toys - not enough time

If you had chosen the 'standard' instead of the ugly 'end-mount' model, Dirty,...

You would have multiple choices for regulators. I really never tried to replace the proprietary end-mount with OEM cap, brush plate, and whatever... Didn't know you could!

The 12v CE-102 conventional solid-state regulator is still listed in the catalog I just received (Harley folks with batteries in oil tanks need the low-voltage CE-102L).

I called 937-884-7300 when the generator was developed, and spoke with Carl, although that was years ago....

....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-19-2024, 11:41 AM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Only familiar with the ones for HD and not Indian, but CE's end plate regulator includes the armature support bearing, unlike the old Frank's that just bolted on the end. As Cotten suggested, I would call direct and ask. I live about 20 miles from their facility and pick up directly. Very receptive to answer questions and yes Carl is the man if he is in. Good luck.
      Bob Rice #6738

Comment

The 'standard' Indian model, BLB,..

Is just a piece-for-piece copy of the original Delco-style Model 65A, but with the end of the armature cut to accept a pulley.

But that's too simple so the market cashed in on the space-age thingy.

The standard model was shadowbanned.

....Cotten
        PS: I still have the original prototype for sale, Folks!
        Complete with strap-on Argentinian 'Bosch' regulator, and pulley.

Please don't PM me, 'cuz the format sux; Email me direct at Liberty@npoint.net, Thanks.

....Cotten
        AMCA #776

Comment

I understand the desire for the CE Gen/Reg setup as its easy and very reliable. Sacrifice is appearance. If aesthetics are priority seek an original generator, convert to 2 brush and a George Schorsch electronic regulator fitted into the cutout/regulator box and a Shorai battery and you are charging system anxiety-free. Really though if you are not being AMCA judged don't worry about regulator aesthetics. Main thing is the bike is reliable and gets ridden often.
          Jason Zerbini
          Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
          Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

I called Cycle Electric directly a couple years ago Very friendly and helpful: Ph. 937-884-7300
            Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by Skirted View Post
              I understand the desire for the CE Gen/Reg setup as its easy and very reliable. Sacrifice is appearance. If aesthetics are priority seek an original generator, convert to 2 brush and a George Schorsch electronic regulator fitted into the cutout/regulator box and a Shorai battery and you are charging system anxiety-free. Really though if you are not being AMCA judged don't worry about regulator aesthetics. Main thing is the bike is reliable and gets ridden often.
              At risk of repeating myself many times, Jason,...

The CE indian replacement generator is available without Mona Lisa's Moustache!

Then one has the choice of a range of external regulators:

ponVanCE.jpg
              (Pic courtesy https://virtualindian.org/8eventpontiacpic5.htm; Development at https://virtualindian.org/projgen.htm#cepic)

It may still not be immune to judges' stinkfingers, but it doesn't look like it came off a flying saucer, either. (Nor does it interfere with Chummee assist springs, like the end-mount regulator.)

Vendors push the ugly end-mount 'cause it makes them more of your money.

....Cotten

PS: Autolites are converted with AMCA 'correct' conformity by IndianFrank@yahoo.com!
              Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-20-2024, 05:36 PM.
              AMCA #776

Comment

Ok ! just to clarify a few things here, my 39 was purchased from PO with the CE genny already fitted. Autolite gennys are pretty rare things over here in the UK and 12v VW gennys (we call them dynamos) are rarer still. Besides all that, the CE genny was faultless on the bike for the 5 years I ran it before it chucked a rod, and it looked perfect on a bike that was a bobber.

Fast forward... rebuilding the bike back to as stock as I can get it, I also couldn't fit seat assistance springs and so the "Flying Saucer" definitely had to go. I fitted the standard Harley bell end cap as fitted to CE gennys without the end cap regulator, so got the seat assistance springs to fit plus it looks a lot neater and nearer stock now.

I know the CE genny produces 25 -30 amps and needs to be current regulated to 10 amps and voltage regulated to 14.8 volts max. As T.Cotten says there is a choice of regulators out there which would do the job .... so which one should I use that is preferably an electronic one that could be fitted into an old mechanical type receptacle (not a major requirement) if I don't go the CE 100 series route ?

AMCA#24040 - too many toys - not enough time

Comment

Dirty;

Hmmm
                  I am running a CE5000 with end regulator myself and have been happy with it.

That said; I just got my old Auto-lite 6volt generator now updated to 12 volt back from Indian Frank and look forward to using it.

Electronics are not my strong suit (Where is that duct tape and fire extinquisher?)

Here is a link:
                  https://virtualindian.org/projgen.htm#fritz32099

May shed some light on what you are doing.

Article mentions Ole Martin Mobeck running Bosch generators and using
                  The Bosch regulator number 0 190 350 049 VA 14V 25A

Perhaps CE generator could be regulated by Bosch?

Again maybe Carl at CE or someone else will have (better ideas)?

Keep us posted.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulCDF View Post
                    ...Perhaps CE generator could be regulated by Bosch?...
                    That's what you see in post #7, Paul!

(Although its actually Argentinian.)

Cramming an electronic into an Autolite box is what I think IndianFrank@yahoo.com does, but probably only for Autolites. Commissioning a minimum order of five hundred chips for Delco's is up for grabs, Folks!

....Cotten
                    PS: I think the major design issue would be the "heat sink".

Plumbing is the only analogy for electrics I can fathom.
                    Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-25-2024, 04:48 PM.
                    AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                    X