brake lining thickness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brake lining thickness

I've looked high and low to find what a new set of 40's Chief brake shoes might typically have for lining thickness when new. Got skunked, couldn't find that information! Reason being, I think linings at 25% thickness (compared to original thickness) are generally soon due for replacement. Mine measure roughly 3/16" and that looks thick enough to keep running them, but I do wonder how they compare to original thickness.

Rears are riveted:

IMG_1037.jpeg

fronts are bonded:

IMG_1039.jpeg
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

"I've looked high and low ":

Well Harry that is a head scratcher.

As you exhausted the usual sources I asked Bing A.I. and got:

"The minimal thickness for brake shoes, whether for modern vehicles or classic motorcycles like the 1940 Indian Chief, is typically around 1/16 inch (1.6 mm). However, for specific models like the 1940 Indian Chief, it’s always best to consult the service manual or a professional restorer for the exact specifications, as these can vary based on the design and manufacturer’s guidelines. Unfortunately, the detailed specifications for the brake shoe thickness of a 1940 Indian Chief are not readily available in my current resources. If you’re restoring or maintaining such a vintage motorcycle, I recommend reaching out to vintage motorcycle clubs or forums, as they often have members with access to detailed restoration manuals and can provide the most accurate information."

Then I posted the question to a fb Indian Owners Group. One response:

"From lose memory the linings are 1/4" thick"

PM for contributors name.

Later I will ask Bing A.I. again and see if fb response is now captured.

"Just because your paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you."

Be Well

Comment

I have 2 sets of NOS Indian linings I got from Jimmy Metiff (sic.) years ago. Most everything Jimmy had was NOS, and dealer buy out stock from the Chicago Triangle Motorcycle Supply days. The linings measure .188"-.194" thick.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Eric, that is perfect, thanks! Full disclosure, after searching this forum and other spots but not finding how thick a new brake lining might be for a 40's Chief, I thought I'd post this up in the hope that someone (thanks again, Eric!) would find, or have, the correct information ...so that future searches might not come up empty. I had already decided I had plenty of lining left! Paul's search just confirmed what I had found, or not found...thanks Paul! (...but artificial intelligence???)

Comment

"find, or have, the correct information"

Well it's in the data base now Harry.

Today I asked Bing A.I.: How thick are new brake shoes on a 1940s Indian Chief motorcycle?

Response: "The thickness of new brake shoes for a 1940s Indian Chief motorcycle is typically around 1/4". However, it’s important to note that there might be slight variations depending on the specific model and the manufacturer of the aftermarket parts1. If you’re restoring or maintaining such a vintage motorcycle, it’s always best to verify with a reliable source or consult a professional restorer to ensure the correct specifications.

Learn more (AKA Source citiation)
          forum.antiquemotorcycle.org (Our Conversation)
          mikesindianparts.com (Looks like Mr. Michael Breeding has a front brake assembly for sale for earlier Chief per his ad: "75068 Brake Shoes. Thick, 1/4" brake lining (stock 3/16") for fitting shoes to drum, 1937-1942." Spooky

Comment

As per a lesson from Gene Harper, I use 1/4 brake lining from McMaster Carr and 'arc' the linings (as an assembly) in my lathe. I have been delighted with how well a front brake will work if the linings are radiused to their drum. Also, I glue, and rivet the linings to the shoes. I take my time, and take light cuts to avoid taking a brake shoe to the face The McMaster brake material is not asbestos and is not as long lasting as original linings but does work very well.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
              As per a lesson from Gene Harper, I use 1/4 brake lining from McMaster Carr and 'arc' the linings (as an assembly) in my lathe. I have been delighted with how well a front brake will work if the linings are radiused to their drum. Also, I glue, and rivet the linings to the shoes. I take my time, and take light cuts to avoid taking a brake shoe to the face The McMaster brake material is not asbestos and is not as long lasting as original linings but does work very well.
              Can you show me a picture of the lining you use from McMaster Carr, looks like they have a couple choice's in my old, old book, Thanks

Comment

...as long as brake and hub maintenance are a topic, besides checking brake lining, for thickness and glazing, I'll check the drum for excessive grooving and grease contamination:

IMG_1054.jpeg

...on the Chief the drum side wheel bearings are in the drum and before I remove the drum I'll spin the drum to see if there's any wobble or other feeling that could mean a tired out bearing inside (in my case I had replaced the bearings about 10k miles ago and they're sealed type):

IMG_1056.jpeg
                ...and on the front brake of a Chief with an aluminum plate front brake there's a needle bearing where the cam goes through the plate, it needs periodic greasing so I'll hit that as well as the contact points of the brake shoes with some silicone brake grease:
                IMG_1057.jpeg

I'm sure I've forgotten something, so consider this a "short list"....I actually don't use my brakes heavily, I don't ride in traffic!
                Last edited by pisten-bully; 03-26-2024, 07:57 AM.

Comment

https://www.mcmaster.com/6224K348

Pan620, this is what I got from McMaster when I last did shoes. You can download a CAD drawing from their site.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

" I glue, and rivet the linings to the shoes."

Eric what glue are you using?

Comment

Paul, I've been using a 3M body panel epoxy because it was quite expensive, and I have a lot left over Waste not, want not, and wicked strong too. I think Gorilla glue, or epoxy would work just as good in addition to well set rivets.
                      Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks Eric!

Comment

From the H.A.M.B.
                          Use Anabond 230 but you have to use some heat like your wifes oven for about 1/2 hour so it will cure. It's only got about a 6 month shelf life if you keep it in the house at around 70 degrees f . Otherwise it will set up . It's not a 2 part epoxy . This is a brake bonding adhesive made to take a lot of brake heat directions on the can .

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                            https://www.mcmaster.com/6224K348

Pan620, this is what I got from McMaster when I last did shoes. You can download a CAD drawing from their site.
                            Thanks,Eric

Comment

Working...
                            X