1947 Chief rear shock removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1947 Chief rear shock removal

Does anyone have a diagram of the inside of the 47 shocks and a list of how to remove the shocks? I want to replace the chrome outer covers. I appreciate any help! THANKS TCHIEF

Kiwi has a YouTube video:

https://youtu.be/hRUM_D_VzU4?si=kJTUBYKY4qzidI7t
    AMCA # 3233

Comment

The video shows once the shock is off the bike, I would like to know how to take off the frame to get it to the vice. I appreciate the link. THANKS JEFF

Comment

Here you go courtesy of Jerry Geer:

Indian Chief Rear Shocks.jpeg

Comment

looking at the greer pic 15 gets unscrewed from frame and then a special plunger removal tool is screwed in to the bottom of 4 where 12 was,then tightened to compress spring,allowing assembly removal.
          They probably list tool also
          Tom

Comment

Ditto what Tom said plus #20 is a small set screw that holds upper chrome cover.

Comment

This is the tool you need to remove the shock from the frame. Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 7.36.26 PM.png

Comment

Make your own tool.....

image_35085.jpg image_35084.jpg image_35083.jpg

Long bolt, nut and washers, piece of pipe for spacer, screw bolt into bottom of bottom of shock rod, hold bolt and turn nut down which pulls the shock rod down into the spacer and shortens up the amount the top of the spring rod extends from shock body. This gives you the clearance you need to swing the shock into or out of the casting. Now loosen the nut and the spring rod extends and you can remove the tool.

Hope this helps.

Note: pictures are a Sport Scout, same thing for Chief. From memory I think the bolt is 7/16-20 for Scout, 1/2-20 for Chief

Joe

Comment

The set screw in the upper frame casting can be a bitch if its sized

Comment

Working...
                  X