Cycle Electric Generator dimensions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cycle Electric Generator dimensions?

I'm thinking of going with a 12V Cycle Electric generator. I've tried to find the length dimensions for the "Built in Regulator" version and also the "External Regulator" version. Sorry, I don't have any "part" numbers for these. So, could anyone that OWNS a FINNED version measure it lengthwise from pulley V to the fin end? AND (if anyone knows) how big is the external Regulator? Like a pack of cigarettes? OR larger? OR smaller?

Reason is, my 46 Chief has the Chum-Me seat overload springs and I've read that the springs will hit the internal type fins. I've also read on Facebook that some guys don't have that problem of the springs hitting the fins. Hmmm...

This 46 Chief has the Overload springs and the CE with internal Reg. Of course, I don't have any close up shots of his bike.

279014218_10160554024593221_3339827354685399982_n.jpg
    Jim

AMCA #6520

Sorry, Jim!

The end-mount regulator version interferes with Chummee assist springs. The standard version does not.

It gives you the choice of other regulators, and its not nearly as ugly.

(Development of the replacement generator was a VirtualIndian community project: https://virtualindian.org/projgen.htm#cepic)

....Cotten
    PS: I have the original prototype for sale, Folks!

Very few hours on it.
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 01-06-2024, 04:04 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
      Sorry, Jim!

The end-mount regulator version interferes with Chummee assist springs. The standard version does not.

It gives you the choice of other regulators, and its not nearly as ugly.
      Thanks Cotten! I'm still in the "thinking about it" mode . IF I were to go with the "finned" version, I would just paint the fins black. I'm still in the "learning" part of it. Not sure how that black 1946 bike fits with the finned one.... I WISH I took a closer look at that time. Oh well... That being said, I NEVER ride 2 up...and "technically" I could remove my overload springs. OR get a SOLO seat HAHA!! Then again, the separate regulator can be mounted under the seat... OR maybe HIDE it in the tool box? Hmm... we'll see.

Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

My prototype, Jim,

Has a common Bosch-style sportster regulator riveted to a strap like the original Autolites (from the previous VirtualIndian link).

CE installed.jpg

The VirtualIndian project's intent was to conjure a unit that would use commonly available replacement parts, and CE followed the HD/Delco design which was already supported by various aftermarket suppliers, for virtually everything but the turned-down body, and armature with a journal for a pulley..

Naturally, CE preferred to push their proprietary end-mount which also uses a proprietary generator end cap. Even rattle-canned,.. its pretty out of place upon on a vintage machine.

....Cotten
        Last edited by T. Cotten; 01-06-2024, 09:52 PM.
        AMCA #776

Comment

Jim- if you haven't already obtained a CE generator and end cap... you might consider an original Autolite generator, and a solid state regulator for the correct application.

I had Indian Frank make up a 12V version and a solid state regulator for my '36 chief, and another for my '45 EU Chief, also 12V. One set up is for mounting forward of the seat post, the other is for a plunger frame, behind the seat post. The regulator mounting is different for rigid and plunger frames.
          Both look absolutely original (although 12V), with proper end plates, gen cover strap, and the regulator is an exact correct solid state type. All the mounting bolts and brackets are correct for the proper years, measurements are all stock.

This was the best decision for me, and the cost was less that using a CE set up, including the solid state regulator. I have never had any problems with either machine.
          I didn't like the looks of the CE package, and despite the claim of available replacement parts, the CE set up looks out of place, as stated above. I think alot of folks either don't know about Indian Frank, or are looking for a "quick fix" about the generator/regulator issue.

Old Indians are famous for their "Achilles Heel" regarding the charging system. First, the generator conversion... many have used an old VW 6v generator, with a Bosch mechanical regulator, and several others... However, the real bugger is controlling the charge rate... not an easy task to get it right, and that doesn't address vibration and other common failures at the regulator.
          Most importantly, the solid state regulator has been a life saver. Many Indian owners have been using these regulators, and so far seem almost bullet proof, with the demands of todays modern riding habits, faster speeds, running with constant headlight demand, means more demand on the charging system as a whole, and more. Without a solid state or electronic regulator the charge rate is constantly changing, and proper adjustment is a constant battle. Its not worth burning up a battery or a spill over of acid to ruin a nice paint job.

C2K

Comment

My greatest regret about spearheading the CE project, Folks,...

Is that I had not yet met IndianFrank@yahoo.com!

....Cotten
            AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefTwoKicks View Post
              Jim- if you haven't already obtained a CE generator and end cap... you might consider an original Autolite generator, and a solid state regulator for the correct application.

C2K
              C2K... PM sent to you.

Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Jim;

I am running the CE-IN-5000. My Chummy seat overload springs are not Indian likely some aftermarket set from long ago. Closest I could get measuring CE unit mounted on bike in between 7 and 1/2 to 7 and 5/8 inches. I am guessing you would be safest figuring 7 and 5/8 as CE site notes for HD model "Overall length of DGV-5000 is 7.58 inches from gasket surface to fins."
                Consider giving them a call: Ph. 937-884-7300. I called once when I was interested if the IN-5000 could be used with lithium batteries. (Answer was no, but they have a different regulator that would work. . . but that's a different bunny trail"

Comment

Originally posted by PaulCDF View Post
                  Jim;

I am running the CE-IN-5000. My Chummy seat overload springs are not Indian likely some aftermarket set from long ago. Closest I could get measuring CE unit mounted on bike in between 7 and 1/2 to 7 and 5/8 inches. I am guessing you would be safest figuring 7 and 5/8 as CE site notes for HD model "Overall length of DGV-5000 is 7.58 inches from gasket surface to fins."
                  Consider giving them a call: Ph. 937-884-7300. I called once when I was interested if the IN-5000 could be used with lithium batteries. (Answer was no, but they have a different regulator that would work. . . but that's a different bunny trail"
                  Thanks for that info Paul! I appreciate the measurements! Is that from the V in the belt or the "flat" plate nearest the pulley end? I may just give them a call. At least one good thing, since it's January, I don't NEED it today.

Jim
                  Last edited by Jim; 01-07-2024, 06:02 PM.
                  Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Jim;
                    From flat end of the generator body to the end of the regulator. Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by PaulCDF View Post
                      Jim;
                      From flat end of the generator body to the end of the regulator. Good Luck!
                      Perfect! Thanks for the confirmation!
                      Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Working...
                      X