Question on Painting procedure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on Painting procedure

Hello....hoping that some of you out there can help me with what the proper paint procedure should be for tanks and fenders when painting a bike. My painter is not the same guy who will be doing the pinstriping. Painter is nervous about having anyone hand paint the pinstripes on the painted tanks/fenders wo clear coating first....but he stated that he will do whatever I want. Here is how I see the options....please let me know if any of these are correct or if another procedure is more accurate.

Option A: 1. Paint....2. Indian Script Decal....3. Clear coat.....4. Pinstriping....5. Clear coat again.

Option B: 1. Paint...2 and 3. Pinstriping and Decal....4. Clear coat

Option C: 1. Paint...2 a single layer of clear....3 and 4 pinstriping and decal.....5. Clear coat again

Thanks for any help you can provide on this. I was assuming that the pinstriping will be done by hand, but if it is a better option to use decals for the pinstriping, please let me know that as well. All the books for a '32 Indian state that the pinstripes should be no more than 3/64ths wide, so not sure how accurate handheld paint brushes can be. Thanks.

B) is how it should be done. That's how I did my scout.

Comment

I'm in the same boat as you. Different guy painting to pinstriping. The painter said he will clear coat after colour & decals so that if the pinstriping goes sideways it can be lightly sanded out without impacting the base colour. Once it's all done then another coat of clear. So option A for him, but I don't see why any of the 3 options wouldn't work.

Comment

Working...
      X