Distributor Grease Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distributor Grease Cup

The literature I have found indicates that the grease in the distributor grease cup should be done yearly and sparingly.
    Question what is the actual "procedure"? Is filling the grease cup cap with fresh grease and threading it back onto the grease cup body sufficient?
    Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by PaulCDF View Post
    The literature I have found indicates that the grease in the distributor grease cup should be done yearly and sparingly.
    Question what is the actual "procedure"? Is filling the grease cup cap with fresh grease and threading it back onto the grease cup body sufficient?
    Thanks in advance.
    My best guess, Paul,..

You gave it a twist when it squeaked.

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Thanks Cotten!
      No it's silent in operation. Just curious. I have an old one on the shelf off my 'parts pile" bike and that on spun freely and noiselessly. Undid the cap and there was grease in there but very old.
      Took thge grease- cup body off the distributor; cleaned the old grease out. Repacked everything with fresh grease and reassembled. Easy to do as this distributor was on the shelf. Wondering how it is SUPPOSED to be done properly?

Comment

Originally posted by PaulCDF View Post
        ... Wondering how it is SUPPOSED to be done properly?
        Sounds like you nailed it, Paul!

(But I'm certain there are those that would demand it be boiled and re-plated, or arbitrarily replaced, if it shows any character at all.)

Modern disc brake greases raise a question;

They don't melt and flow.

....Cotten
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

What kind of grease is used for the distributor cup ? Is there a military spec for the required grease. ? I recently serviced my bike, and found the grease cup almost empty, with very little pretty old grease. I couldn't find anything relating to what specific type of grease to use. I just filled the cup with waterproof wheel bearing grease (blue-green in color). Filled the cup just about two times, screwing in the threads until the grease squeezed to fill the cavity in the distributor housing. Finally, filled the cup, so that the cap felt resistance... ran the bike for a few minutes until I determined there was no grease leaking up through the shaft bushings. So far, so good.

The only grease ratings I found are wheel bearings-grade #2 (2-108), and chassis fittings #0 for winter (2-106), #1for summer #1(2-107), source- model 340 B operation/maintenance manual.
          The Indian Rider's Handbook (1951) recommends mileage intervals for service.
          The marine grease I use has a #2 rating.

Thanks PaulCDF, for jogging my memory about this topic, which often goes without much fanfare or attention.
          The wrong grease (or any other lubricant) could easily be the deathnell of our old machines.

Comment

I'm just using General Purpose Grease for this what was there was old. Just simple routine maintenance.

Comment

Dang!, You mean you are supposed to put grease in there? LOL, I admit I have been delinquent in this task and as C2K mentioned I'm not sure ever having or hearing conversation on the topic. So yea it seems filling the cap will force grease inward as its screwed on but once its on the whole way, no further lubrication will automatically take place. I'll probably use my old go-to Kendall Super Blu.
              Thanks for posting this Paul!
              Jason Zerbini
              Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
              Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

Working...
              X