chief aftermarket clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chief aftermarket clutch

Im working on the clutch for an 80"chief that has some slipping under max load with original syle clutch.I was going to change out one of 1/8 disks to another 3/16 but I also have a Greer clutch(I think that was supplier) on the self that I am going to install instead.
    The friction plates have black steel with brown cross hatched friction material bonded to each side.
    I seem to recall some discussion of people running less than the full 16 springs on this assembly.
    Anyone familiar with this clutch ?Any feedback would be appreciated.
    Tom

Tom;
    Here is a link to previous discussion on the issue:

Clutch sliipage on '53 Chief. - AMCA Forum (antiquemotorcycle.org)

I think clutch slippage would be greater with less springs. Or said another way more springs less slippage.

Comment

Thanks,that discussion did have some reminders to check hole to stud clearance on the friction discs.
      I realize less springs would not be good for stock clutch but the repro may be different.I will probably just put in all 16 and check it out.
      Tom

Comment

I've been running 12 springs with a Charles Qua sinterbronze clutch for a few years. Ride two-up often in mountains. Never a hint of slippage and very consistent release and engage
        Jason Zerbini
        Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
        Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

Thanks Skirted.I remember when that clutch came out,but I only eveer had the stock set ups,with no problems.
          I did see the King clutch was mentioned as ok with 12 springs.This greer clutch is similar.
          Tom

Comment

Working...
          X