1932 Chief - Front Hub Assembly question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1932 Chief - Front Hub Assembly question

Hello all. I am curious if someone can tell me the proper order to install the bearing assembly on the left side of the front Hub. I am attaching a screenshot from my '32 parts list book, but it is a bit confusing when it comes to the felt washer(s). Let me provide what I know, and hopefully someone can lead me the rest of the way down the path. First thing that goes in is the bearing cup....the second item that goes in is the bearing that fits into the bearing cup. Then what? Does the felt washer retainer then go in on top of that with a felt washer on top of it, then the retainer retaining ring that holds the felt in place? Or is this wrong? The '32 parts list shows a felt washer (35B765), then a Felt washer retainer (35B767), then another felt washer (35B765). Are there 2 felt washers in the mix on the left side of the Hub? I ordered a felt washer retainer package from Walker for the front Hub and I received 3 retainers. (1) retainer with no felt washer (2) one retainer with a removable felt washer sitting in the retainer channel and (3) a retainer with a felt washer embedded internally in the retainer. Not sure what is correct.....if anything. When I took the Hub apart it had no felt washers and no retainer ring. It seemed to have a rubber gasket on the outside holding everything in place. Thanks for anything anyone can offer on this topic, I appreciate it. Brent
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

My Sport Scout has a similar front hub. My assembly is: race, bearing, seal retainer, .125 felt seal, seal retainer, retaining ring. Both seal retainer lips went toward the bearing. Hope this helps.

Comment

Screenshot_20230803-091349~2.png
      Does this help you ?

Comment

Thank you rustynutz and tgarcia. tgarcia....your picture might help, but I can't really see it. When I blow it up it becomes too hard to read and blurry. Can you tell me where you found the picture so I can go find it? It looks like Jerry Greer info, but I can't tell what years of bike it is for or any of the detail of the felt washers or retainers. If you could repost bigger or tell me where you found it, I would appreciate it.

Comment

I believe thats a diagram on jerrygreersindian under the 36 chief front wheel.
          I think the tapered bearing front wheels are pretty much the same seal set up including the scouts and 741.
          Tom

Comment

Yes it's from Greer's, it's for a 36 which I believe should be the same. I can't get it to not be blurry for some reason, sorry. If you look on the site under 36 chief and "wheel,front assembly" you can zoom in on it.

Comment

...for what it's worth, here's the layout for the 101 Scout, roller bearings used 1929 to 1931 ('31 was the end of the 101)

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.
              Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Yep, got it!....thanks all, I appreciate the help!

Comment

Working...
                X