Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chief Shift Pattern and front disc brake conversion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chief Shift Pattern and front disc brake conversion?

Dumb question. I have a 1941 Chief. Over the past several years I had some health issues which prevented me from riding it. I still started the bike up every month or so (I put on a Kiwi electric foot, so I just have to push a button and keep the battery topped up). I keep it on a lift with the tires raised.

Anyway, I was going to take it out for a ride a few days ago and now cannot remember what the shift pattern is. It has one of those aftermarket 4 speed synchro trannies with overdrive but from what I remember it is the same pattern as the OEM tranny except for the 4th gear.

Is it 1 N 2 3 4 from the front to the back or 1 N 2 3 4 from back to front or something else? My 47 UL is 1 N 2 3 4 from back to front (plus the shift gate has the gear position plainly marked) and I seem to recall that the chief was the opposite but I cannot remember for sure. I do not have the rider's manual for it. My throttle is on the right and the shifter is on the left if that makes any difference. When I bought the bike 20 or so years ago the throttle was on the left and the shifter was on the right and it was causing me all sorts of confusion when I was switching between the Indian and my UL so I converted it.

Also, does anyone know a source for a front disc brake for my bike? The 41 has a leaf spring front end and the front brake might was well not even be there. Indian called it the 'no grab' front brake and it should have been called the 'no work' front brake. Either a front disk conversion or a good tech article on how to get the front brake dialed in properly. I did put a front disc brake on my 47 UL and what a world of difference. Much more braking force, and much safer to drive it in traffic.

41Chief

I have same transmission on my 46 as contrasted with original "crash-box". You have good instincts pattern is: 1 N 2 3 4 from the front to the back.

On the brake here is an idea:

TWIN LEADING SHOE FRONT BRAKE SYSTEM TO FIT LEAFSPRING INDIAN CHIEF 19 – Crazyhorse Indian (crazyhorsemoto.com.au)

(Could not download/upload picture of leaf-spring Chief) Looks pricey but exchange right now is 1.50:1 US:Australia

Here is picture similar system later Chief:

TWIN LEADING SHOE FRONT BRAKE SYSTEM TO FIT INDIAN CHIEF 1946 -1953.jpg

There is a guy who had a service: Relining brake shoes, arcing and matching to drums. I heard good things about the service but cannot recall the name!

Last edited by PaulCDF; 07-25-2023, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

WOW, that brake is EXPENSIVE. I put a twin leading shoe front brake on my UL and it was but a few hundred US from some company in Germany and I was not too impressed. Better than stock but not nearly as good as a disc.

Comment

Here is that Drum Brake Restoration/Improvement guy (apologies if you already know this one)

http://vintagebrake.com/

Comment

Hi 41 Chief,

Kiwi offered replica bikes with front disc brakes. Not sure it is compatible with your '41 or even available as a kit but it might be worth investigating.

1939 Chieftain Chassis Kit – Kiwi Indian

Comment

In this years' May-Jun issue of the AMCA magazine page 72 there is an advertisement for drum to disc conversion kits by an outfit called Cannonball.de Looks to be designed for HD but you could consider inquiring.

Comment

Working...
            X