Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any recommendations for mechanic in Midwest, Michigan, Ohio, Indiana?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any recommendations for mechanic in Midwest, Michigan, Ohio, Indiana?

Hello, I am a newbie here so please be patient! I have been sitting on a Chief project for over 30 years. My pops bought it for me shortly after high school, he was a good man. It was a rolling basket then and is basically in the same shape today. The numbers do not match. Motor is a 1945 and frame is from a 1948. I am looking for recommendations for someone in the upper Midwest that can do a mechanical rebuild for me. It will never be a high dollar bike, and am just hoping to get it together and on the road again. Any input would be appreciated!
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

Too bad your not closer west bud I'd love to help you out,just got done with a 1945 engine and trans build. There's a lot of good people in the mid west,you'll find someone.

Comment

Gjohnson, you're RH engine case is 1948+, I'm no expert on stampings but the LH case numbers look okay to me. Is there anything stamped on the raised boss to the right of the engine number raised boss?

You could always send your motor, or take a scenic drive, to Jerry Greer's in Deadwood, SD
      Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Thanks pisten-bully! I had always assumed that the motor was just a 1946. I had to double check, but indeed your suspicion was correct. There is a stamp on the right and it is an "AIMCO". I never thought much of that in the past. So, I guess it was a Sam Pierce creation! I found a little history on AIMCO here. Pretty cool. Bike came out of San Francisco back in the late 1980's. It sounds like he may have been on the West Coast.

17 hour drive to Deadwood from SE Michigan, but know Greer's could get it done.
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

GJohnson Welcome!

Suggestion:
          Go to AMCA Home Page
          Under CHAPTERS select Chapter Finders
          I prefer the LIST VIEW on Right side of screen
          GREAT LAKES REGION contains Chapters in IN, MI, OH
          Select a Chapter close to home (Consider Joining) reach out to chapter of your choice and
          ask you 'locals' for recommendation(s). Don't rush this its been 30 yrs let's get it right.
          I am guessing you have a manual? A lot of the fun is doing the maintainece and repairs you can.
          Again Welcome, Good Luck and let us know how you progress. More pictures please.

Comment

Great suggestions, thanks PaulCDF!

Yes, I do have a parts catalog and repair manual. I do enjoy working on bikes and also know my limits!

Appreciate the warm welcome and the expertise of the group.

Comment

Working...
            X