1947 Indian with a Edison Splitdorf Magnetogneto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1947 Indian with a Edison Splitdorf Magnetogneto

I have been working on getting this bike running. Had it running a little last year but it lost spark and was very hard starting. What is the best spark plug and gap for a mag bike? I have solid copper core wires on the way. I am getting a good spark out of the mag. But still having trouble starting the bike. Like A fool I also had the Carb rebuilt. Why not add another issue to the mix lol
    Fred Leach
    Cape Cod Ma.
    1946 Indian Chief
    1947 Indian Chief Roadmaster Bonni
    2014 Indian #450 Chieftain
    2013 Vic Vision

Originally posted by Fastfred116 View Post
    ,,,, Like A fool I also had the Carb rebuilt. Why not add another issue to the mix lol
    "Rebuilt" is a magical term, FF!

The only foolish part, is that you didn't take it apart, clean it, replace what's necessary, and 'rebuild' it yourself; Its part of the romance with the machine.

Now, if it is a problem, you won't be familiar with it.

Hard starting means you must test the manifold anyway: http://virtualindian.org.11techleaktest.html

....Cotten
    PS: Points gap appears to be .016"; Email me at liberty@npoint.net, and I can send you a .pdf of the service booklet.

And oh yeah, I've a complete and serviced RM for sale, Folks!
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 07-14-2023, 10:25 AM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Copper wires are good but make sure you are also using non resistor plugs.
      How does it run when it does start?
      Tom

Comment

I went threw the mag myself. I set the points to .015/.016. I put in new original points From Kent Tomson ( great guy very sad ) and added a capacitor. The carb is a Linkert. Bonn6 Carb. I got a cheap Harber freight plug light and it lite up good when i kicked it over. Lots of spark. But I don't know what the best spark plug is for a Mag bike. Or what I should use for a gap. I use NGK-1111 in my 46 with a distributer. But with the mag i am trying to give it as much spark as i can get. Maybe use a longer plug to put the spark closer to the chamber but I am afraid of doing damage to the pistons. I agree with it being part of the romance with the machine! It's just been a little too romantic for me at the moment lol
        Fred Leach
        Cape Cod Ma.
        1946 Indian Chief
        2013 Vic Vision

Comment

Originally posted by tfburke3 View Post
          Copper wires are good but make sure you are also using non resistor plugs.
          How does it run when it does start?
          Tom
          Runs great when it starts. Great oil pressure and smooth. I'm getting close to solving everything. It really wants to start.
          Fred Leach
          Cape Cod Ma.
          1946 Indian Chief
          2013 Vic Vision

Comment

Runs great when it starts. Great oil pressure and smooth. I'm getting close to solving everything. It really wants to start.
            Carbs are forgiving, FF!

Manifolds ain't.

(Got a Chief on the lathe right now.)

....Cotten
            AMCA #776

Comment

Who sells a test plate for a Indian Manifold. I have seen Harley ones but not one for Indians. Different bolt pattern. I know i can make one easy but why re create the wheel if someone already sells them.

Fred Leach
              Cape Cod Ma.
              1946 Indian Chief
              2013 Vic Vision

Comment

Who sells a test plate for a Indian Manifold. I have seen Harley ones but not one for Indians. Different bolt pattern. I know i can make one easy but why re create the wheel if someone already sells them.
                You mean like shown at the VirtualIndian discussion, FF,..

Like this?

TESTKIT.jpg

You can always email me direct at liberty@npoint.net.

....Cotten
                PS: Everybody please note that there is no Schrader valve!
                PPS: Harleys, Excelsiors, and others also used the same one and a quarter flange.
                Last edited by T. Cotten; 07-15-2023, 11:18 AM.
                AMCA #776

Comment

If it's hard starting, try narrowing up the plug gap to about .015". You could even go .010" for testing purposes. A narrow plug gap will allow a hot spark to be produced at lower RPM. We ran our Excelsiors at .015" for 3500 miles and no problems. most started on 2nd or 3rd kick from cold. One even started on the 1st kick, from cold, every time!!

Also, the mag model Chiefs had a different starter gear ratio than the battery models. The Kicker gear was larger and the transmission shaft gear was smaller which gave the engine a bit faster spin with each kick. I don't know the numbers but study the parts book for teeth counts.

Comment

I do have the larger gears on the kicker, and it is longer than my chief (battery bike) This is what i have done so far. I added a capacitor inside the mag alongside of the condenser. Definitely helped. for plugs i decided on using NGK-B8EGV Racing plug. I did that based on the writeup on Indian Ignition (performanceindian.com). I started with a .020" gap and the bike definitely wants to start. It started for a second but cut out. So i when with a .015 gap. Nothing! I feel like I'm getting really close. It wants to start but it just not working. I also have been getting better results with fully advancing the bike. But that has me worried about it kicking back. I changed the wires to solid copper core wires with screw on plug connectors.
                    P.S. I have yelled at the bike! Flipped it off! and dropped my paints and mooned it. Didn't do anything it still wont start!

Fred Leach
                    Cape Cod Ma.
                    1946 Indian Chief
                    2013 Vic Vision

Comment

also this is the capacitor
                      i used. thorcap.com/English_mounting.htm
                      Fred Leach
                      Cape Cod Ma.
                      1946 Indian Chief
                      2013 Vic Vision

Comment

Are you positively sure the timing is correct,if you're advancing it and it's getting better then it sounds almost like your timing is retarded too much. And if mooning it didn't work your bike has real issues.

Comment

I used a buzz box to set the timing. I opened the mag and set the $ mark in the center of the hole. Adjusted the timing till the buzz box went off when the $ was in the center. Fully advanced.
                          Fred Leach
                          Cape Cod Ma.
                          1946 Indian Chief
                          2013 Vic Vision

Comment

Sometimes it likes the throttle closed,sometimes open and sometimes wide open as it can be all over the place, you just have to keep trying. Have tried spark plug from .015 to .030 and noticed no difference. Remember , do not bring up on compression, just kick from where it sits as you need mag spinning before it fires to get best spark. Found 2 kicks wide open and then let sit for a few minutes then try to start.

Comment

Just for sake of trying did you set the mag full retard instead of full advance on tdc $ on the engine and see what happens? Couldn't hurt to try

Comment

Working...
                              X