Cadmium or Nickel Plating on '32 Chief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cadmium or Nickel Plating on '32 Chief

Good afternoon. I have looked thru all of the literature that I have on this topic, and I can't seem to answer my questions. I am looking for answers on what is Cadmium plated and what is Nickel plated. The specific parts in question are 1) The brake rod that goes from the brake pedal to the brake cam/lever (comma shaped) 2) the clevises on either end of this brake rod 3) the brake cam/lever itself, 4) the kick starter arm and 5) the clutch rod. I'm sure many of you know this by heart, but I do not and can't find it anywhere. It seems to me that there is probably some sort of a "judging book or judging sheet" for Chiefs that has all of this info in it? Just curious if anyone knows the answers to my questions or if there is some book/pamphlet that I can buy that would list this type of stuff. All of these parts on my bike are all painted black, and I am trying to get things somewhat correct. All of the pics that I have found for early Chiefs shows all of these parts as a silver color....so not sure if that is Cadmium/nickel/paint. Thanks for any help guys.

It may be a tough call Brent, Jerry Hatfield's Restoration Guide states plating could be custom ordered:

IMG_0260.jpeg
    For what it's worth, on a 1931 Scout there was very little cad plating, spokes and nipples only according to the 101 Association. There were some chrome bits and some parkerized parts, but mostly any plating was dull or bright nickel.

a couple more clips from Jerry Hatfield's Restoration Guide:

IMG_0261.jpegIMG_0262.jpeg
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Thanks Harry. I saw that data also in Hatfield's restoration book as well....I guess I just thought that there was something definite somewhere. Looks like maybe I should just opt for Nickel plating if the part looks grey/silver on pictures, and just run with that. I appreciate it.

Comment

You won't find much genuine Indian data on plating, and I don't believe they ever specified what kind of plating was used on specific parts. I do recall Toney Watson saying that earlier Chiefs had very little cad plating and that was generally found only on outside vendor components like the distributor, fasteners used on electrical items, spokes, and rims if optioned. I agree with you on nickel being the default plating finish on earlier Chiefs and I think that is the safest bet. Wish Robin Markey was still on the forum as he would know.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

When I had this same question, I was told prior to “38” all the plating was nickel with the exceptions as exeric mentioned, including the generator.

Comment

It seems like bowl lids on Scheblers were cad, Folks,..

As early as 1930.

An 'outside vendor component', naturally.

....Cotten
            Last edited by T. Cotten; 06-15-2023, 08:10 AM.
            AMCA #776
            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
            X