Refurbished '48 Chief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refurbished '48 Chief

Hello all, I just wanted to show everyone a few images of my project. It is a numbers matching '48 Chief that I bought about five years ago. I built this bike to ride, not to show. The engine is a 0.010" over 80 c.i. H-beam rods, CV carb, electronic ignition, and a four speed over drive transmission. The bike was painted "Packard blue" ( you would swear it is black in subdued light), sheet metal was "metal finished", formed new skirts for the front fender, added re-pop police tanks. This was my first bike project, and at 74 years of age, it may be my last. Interested in your comments, good or not.
    tom
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 5 photos.

Nice work on the skirts ........Beautiful Indian!

Did you use19 gauge steel ?
    "you gonna sit there and argue ......or FISH " Claude Leadbetter

Comment

Sweet Indian Tom! Remarkable first time effort~Congratulations.

*M.A.D.*
      Last edited by JoJo357; 06-03-2023, 03:36 AM.

Comment

Nicely Done, Super You hit the bulls-eye first time out!!! More pictures Please!!!
        Last edited by PaulCDF; 06-03-2023, 05:08 AM.

Comment

Love it! Especially like the one picture with boxes on the floor full of parts, followed by the final picture with the completed, great looking bike!
          Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Looks great, well done! The seat color complements the bike beautifully
            AMCA #41287
            1971 Sprint SS350 project
            1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
            1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
            1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
            96" Evo Softail self built chopper
            2012 103" Road King "per diem"
            plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

You should be extremely satisfied and very proud of your work. I appreciate the time and effort you put in. I love your color choice.
              Pete Cole AMCA #14441
              1947 Indian Chief

Comment

Beautiful color!

Dale

Comment

Thanx, for all the positive comments, much appreciated.
                  Did you use19 gauge steel ?
                  I used (0.047" as original)18 gauge AKDQ steel (aluminum killed drawing quality) to form the new front skirts. I will add an image or two of the tooling I used.
                  Looks great, well done! The seat color complements the bike beautifully
                  Navy and tan, is a classic color combination, thanx for the compliment.
                  If anyone has a question or wants to see anything in particular, please ask, I'm happy to share.
                  I chemically removed all the rust using tetrasodium EDTA (a food preservative) and citric acid, I will post a link to a hotrod forum that I posted the process and the results on.
                  Tom

Comment

Images.

Comment

Is that a 32 Ford on 32 rails next door to the Chief? Sweet!
                      DrSprocket

Comment

Love what you have done, Tom. Particularly forming your own side skirts. I think it's the ingenuity of our grand hobby that I enjoy most of all, and I get a lot of inspiration from members like yourself that take the initiative to noodle-out, and solve a problem. It's easy, and fun to just buy a part, but a lot more satisfying to do a good job on your own. I also love Packard blue, and was seriously considering that for my Sport Scout. I'll be second guessing my choice but I'm pretty happy with my color choice at this point. I'll bet I speak for many of us in saying I would love to see more pictures of what other things you had to do.
                        Eric Smith
                        AMCA #886

Comment

Wonderful job Tom! That bike has great curb appeal!
                          Have you got to put some miles on it? The 4 speed would be awesome. How is it kicking over with the 80"
                          Last edited by Skirted; 06-05-2023, 11:55 AM.
                          Jason Zerbini
                          Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
                          Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

That turned out magnificent! I have a 4 speed overdrive transmission in my ‘46 and love it. If you come to a point of not wanting to kick it over any longer you might consider the Kiwi electric start option. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Working...
                            X