Indian Chief Front BRAKE BACKING PLATE repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian Chief Front BRAKE BACKING PLATE repair

My front brake backing plate cable adjustment boss is worn.
    Original was threaded for 1/4 - 24 tpi.
    I was running with (double nutted HD adjuster 5/16 - 18 tpi) as hole is worn to 0.31 to 0.318.
    Do not think there is enough "meat/material" left to boss to tap to 3/8"
    Boss is ~ 0.50" (top to bottom)

Looking for opinions and options:

Brake backing plate A.JPGBrake backing plate B.JPGBrake backing plate C.JPG

It looks like there is more material on right side of the anchor post. If you could access a milling machine and plunge an end mill cutter to make a hole in the center of the anchor post, it looks like a 5/16"x 18 Heli-Coil would do the deed. You would be able to use the same adjuster and it would take 2 generations to wear out a Heli-Coil. A patient person could probably hand file a hole that favored the right side of the anchor post but it would need to be at core tap size to have good contact, and a bit difficult to get the Heli-Coil tap to run true. That would be my first attempt. If that didn't work, it would be getting a talented welder to weld it up, and then drill and tap it for a Heli-Coil to original size. That's where I would be going, Paul but I am always interested in what other talent thinks.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Eric- I've used a product by LOCTITE PC3967, Stripped Thread Repair. aka Loctite FORM-A-THREAD*Stripped Repair.

I think with crossing your fingers, and a little patience, this epoxy might do the trick. The mold release agent with the kit is the key to the epoxy. Haven't tried it with J/B Weld. maybe the mold release agent would be OK, too. If the PC3967 doesn't work for you in your case, this stuff is worth having around the shop. Amazon has it for $50. lots for choices here...

You could always put a nut on both ends of the long adjuster bolt. simply clamp the bolt between the anchor boss, like a jamb nut, on each end.
      That wouldn't be "correct", but it did get the job done.

C2K

Comment

Working...
      X