27 wheel question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 27 wheel question

This does not really pertain to just 27, but my bike which is new to me is a 27. That said any diagrams or knowledge on taking the wheels apart?

The front wheel seems obvious but the bolts stick severally after a quarter turn and I am afraid I will mess something up if I force them.

Is there any way to search this forum?

Thanks
    Scott

Welcome to the forum Scott! I suggest posting up a picture or three because I'm not really sure what you're referring to! When you say "taking the wheels apart" then to me that means separating the hubs from the rims by removing the spokes, but there are no "bolts" in that process...so more information and pictures will make it clearer!
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Welcome Scott!
      Congratulations on the 27
      In the AMCA Library there is a 1927 Indian Riders Instruction Book which you may find helpful.
      Agree with Harry pictures would be helpful Plus always a good idea to take lots of pictures when you take things apart so they find their way back together in proper order.

Directions to AMCA Library

-Go to AMCA Home Page (Not the Forum)

-RIGHT Upper Corner of your screen is "MEMBER LOGIN"

[This is the 'tricky part':
      You will need to create username and password.
      The Home Page and the Forum each require log in UserName and Passwords.]

(Some particularly lazy people use the same info on both sites )

-ONCE Logged in hover mouse over Golden Word "FEATURES" in upper RIGHT corner.

-VINTAGE M/C LIBRARY is fourth option from top of menu. Click that.

-You will see on your LEFT in BLUE characters and underlined the words:
      "Vintage Motorcycle Library AMCA Member Access Link" Click That.

-Search Box appears RIGHT upper corner: For Simple Search Enter: "1927" "Indian".

Good Luck and WELCOME!

Comment

Need to remove the brake/gear on the rear and the bearings on the front. Taking the wheels to a shop in Denver to have a spoke replaced in each wheel and get them trued up. Also to make sure they are still safe to use. Need to know of special tools I will need too.

Tires are a bit confusing to me this being my first old bike. The wheels measure 21" diameter and the tires that were on it were balloon 20x3.85. Where in the world am I going to find that? Tried the obvious.

Thanks for the search information. Is there any way to search the forums specifically? The library search does not include forum or at least I do not think it does.

Thanks
        Scott
        Attached Files

Comment

Is there any way to search the forums specifically?

Scott;
          At the top of this (and each) page on the RIGHT there is a Search Box. Enter search word(s) there THEN using Little Arrow Select "In Titles Only" or "In Chief Forum Only" believe you can also search entire Forum (Indan/Harley/General Restoration/Vendors) in same way.

Comment

tires:

Get classic looks for your bike with this 385x20 Coker Classic Cycle Diamond Tread Clincher Tire from Coker Tire Company. Don't forget new tubes!

Comment

Scott, On the right side of the rear wheel, there is a thin lock nut on the hollow axle, locking the bearing race / dust cover. Remove the lock nut and race, then the entire brake assembly with hollow axle will pull out the left side. I can't remember for sure but I think it's a left hand thread. Ball bearings will probably fall out all over too, but that's OK, they need to be cleaned and repacked, if not replaced anyway. Front wheel is similar, a thin jam nut on each side holding the race / dust cover in place. Remove the lock and races and it all comes out. Removing the brake drum and sprocket are harder, you need a tool to get those narrow nuts off, then the drum or sprocket will pull off of the splined hub.

I would suggest you buy the Repair and Overhaul Manual for the 101 Scout, it will give details of many of the components on the Chief, as Scout and Chief shared many parts:
              https://www.101scout.org/RandO

Are you in Denver? If so, I have the tool to remove the sprocket and brake nuts.

Gene Harper
              720-341-5606

Comment

Gene,

Thanks, the book has been ordered. I am in Cheyenne, use to live in Broomfield.

Scott

Comment

I had the same problem long ago with my 27 scout. made this simple tool out of .250 iron plate approximately 3 inches in length. the thin round nut that attaches the chain wheel to the through shaft was damaged by someone taking it apart in past with a hammer and chisel. This easy to make tool removes the old nut once you clean up the slots and properly installs a new one.
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by azscout1927 View Post
                    I had the same problem long ago with my 27 scout. made this simple tool out of .250 iron plate approximately 3 inches in length. the thin round nut that attaches the chain wheel to the through shaft was damaged by someone taking it apart in past with a hammer and chisel. This easy to make tool removes the old nut once you clean up the slots and properly installs a new one.
                    Thanks for showing that tool, it's much better than what I've been using!

Comment

Front wheel question:

Any special tool to remove the dust cover Or at least I think that is what is next to remove after the bolts. I have a cover remover I used on a old jeep but this one is not budging.

Got it off.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by ssutherland; 06-03-2023, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X