Parts Identification and Value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parts Identification and Value

Indian Air Cleaner Body 3.jpgIndian Air Cleaner 1.jpgindian Air Cleaner Cover 2.jpg Is the photo left and above a Chief air cleaner cover or Scout (both?). At least I think this is an air cleaner cover; don't quite know--educated guess.
    Also, if you can tell based on the photo, what is average value of these when sold?

-JR
    Last edited by JTR249; 05-06-2023, 10:21 AM.

Originally posted by JTR249
    Here's another one.
    -JR
    Not being an Indian guy I do not know to much about them but the first picture is a front wheel cover and covers the hub on the side opposite the brake. The 2nd and 3rd pictures are definitely an air cleaner front and back. I would guess that all pieces are reproductions.

Jerry

Comment

Thank you, Jerry. I am not a Chief owner and was a little confused as to what these are. thanks for the clarification on the first being a wheel cover.
      The air cleaners shown here look a little different than those sold by Starklite and Indianrepo, though I suppose other companies could have made them.
      -JR
      Last edited by JTR249; 05-06-2023, 06:38 PM.

Comment

The air cleaner is an Indian factory option Raceway air cleaner.

Comment

Thanks, Tom. Does that mean it is a period accessory part as opposed to modern reproduction?
          -JR

Comment

I did some research several years ago on air cleaner covers, including the cover shown above. Beginning with the earliest covers, I found the first mention of the "Raceway" carb cover as a "change" in Hatfield's Indian Restroration Guide, 1st edition. There may be more in the revised 2nd edition, which I don't have.

The bayonette style round cover was first introduced in 1950. Before that, the round cover had a center screw mount. This one was introduced in 1939. And again, before that one, two semi-flat round, lip edged, large disks with a center screw, sandwiched a very small mesh screen. The idea was to soak the screen with oil to collect the dirt, keeping the contamintants from getting into the carb throat. Earlier Indians (and alot of other brands, used an "air horn", a teardrop shaped cover with a wire mesh shield on the back side. Even earlier, the carb cover was round, basically only enough protection against large objects and maybe backfires due to raw fuel leaks, etc. Some written remarks appear in Hatfield. But you have to dig a bit to follow the progression of upgrades throughout the years.
            I'm sure alot of restorers or builders have several examples of the various carb covers. Plenty out there. The earlier air teardrop horn didn't seem to work very well. For several reasons, My preference is the round, center screw style. Its profile is thinner and not so modern looking. I didn't like the bayonnete style either, it stuck out too far, interfered with the jockey shifter. Finding a suitable paper filter for the thin profile center screw cover is a challenge, but the wider bayonnete style readily accepts a paper filter available from most Indian suppliers today.

To be specific, I believe the bayonnete style is proper for the Brockhouse Indians. However, the thinner profile center screw, rounded cover MAY be appropriate as well. I don't know for certain. I have only seen a handful of vertical Indians, never paying much attention to them. As to their worth, its whatever you can tolerate. C2K

Comment

I've got an aircleaner assembly just like that, Folks!

Its in perfect condition, too.

But I lost the Tinku MadBull box it came in.

Is your element copper, or a silver 'brillo', JR?

.....Cotten
              PS: Tangent to topic, but for posterity:
              Originally posted by ChiefTwoKicks View Post
              ....Earlier Indians (and alot of other brands, used an "air horn", a teardrop shaped cover with a wire mesh shield on the back side....
              AIRHORN.jpg
              (Screen to be retained by the two clips...)

L&L produced a version that fit Scheblers as well:
              linkhorn.jpgL&L chrome.jpg I'd like one of these:
              Bird1.jpg
              ​​​​​​​
              Originally posted by ChiefTwoKicks View Post
              ....Even earlier, the carb cover was round, basically only enough protection against large objects and maybe backfires due to raw fuel leaks, etc.....
              I don't see how raw fuel makes a backfire, but here is the common version:
              DLX36X.jpg

I've got more but I can only upload five at a time.

Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-08-2023, 11:56 AM.
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Cotten,

I don't know yet. Take a look at the photo below and see what I just bought. I recognized the Pathfinders and that's the main reason for getting the lot. I'm going to trade the fender tips for TT parts that I need to finish collecting for that build if I can. If no one trades, then I guess I will keep a set and sell two pathfinder sets as well as the other clam shell and the set of what look like Nation Bilt fender tips and the extra one I have not identified yet.
                I have no clue as to what the other parts are aside from the two gas tank instrument panels.
                I will trade everything Chief in the photo because I don't own one yet.

-JR Indian Fender Tips 1.jpgIndian Fender Tips 4.jpg
                Crazy isn't it? Now they can go for over $200.00 and Pathfinders in primo condition you cannot touch.

Comment

Sorry for a late reply, JR,

I'm clueless about verticals (only rode one once), but since the rest of your hoard looks real, the aircleaner must be too!

The two bottom left fender trim, and far upper right, were probably aftermarket, but that's only a guess.

There's healthy vertical discussion going on right now upon the VirtualIndian mailing list, and you might want to subscribe: VirtualIndian@groups.io

Good luck!

....Cotten
                  Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-10-2023, 11:19 PM.
                  AMCA #776

Comment

Already there, Cotten. Some of those comments are mine! I'm still lookin for Warrior parts to finish collecting on three Warriors; a 51 Road Warrior, a 51 TT and a 50 Road Warrior, my show bike.
                    Those guys have helped a lot and I have seen some familiar names like, Paul CDF and Duffy, even Glasgow is on there. Pretty cool.
                    Thanks for the information. I will let you know if I find out about originality of the stuff that appears to be Chief.
                    Those Pathfinders have to be original because they never made repro versions of them did they?
                    Indianrepo will soon have that covered, though.
                    -JR

Comment

I know little, JR,

But the cast fender tips look too much like a vintage Chief tip I think I have, and I'd have to dig it out to see if it says "Nation Cycle" on the underside.

Value is always a matter of supply and demand: If you are selling rare stuff, you can say "where you gonna find another?

If you are buying, its "How many Vertical people are in the market?"

It looks like you've cornered the supply side!

....Cotten
                      AMCA #776

Comment

Well, I guess I did, however, those tips that looked like vertical tips are all about 7 1/4" long and not shaped the same. My guess when I look them over is that they actually made different ones for Chiefs and Sport Scouts or these are bad reproductions. They look good, too good almost, though they could be never used Chief/SS old stock--still, almost too clean for that. All six are exactly the same. One of them has a small dent.
                        The air cleaner has copper colored gauze inside. There is an iridescence to the back side in the light which is most likely a tell-tale sign of reproduction metal.
                        Oh, yes, that one I asked you about is in fact Nation Bilt and has the stamp on the inside. The stand has the number 237047 on top. Very difficult to photo that. Could be HD or Indian, don't know.
                        I will show you all the photos I took this evening below.
                        Thanks.
                        -JR SAM_0861.JPGSAM_0862.JPGSAM_0868.JPG

Comment

Three more. SAM_0843.JPGSAM_0844.JPGSAM_0850.JPG
                          Some type of metal support bracket. I have three of these, all identical. The side-prop stand. An unknown fitting. Never seen this before--generator clamp?
                          -JR

Comment

Three more.
                            SAM_0853.JPGSAM_0854.JPGSAM_0855.JPG
                            There was only one of this type of fender tip in the lot. The stamp is the only marking on it. The tip is not bent in the last photo as this is just the way it is positioned.

Comment

Three more. SAM_0863.JPGSAM_0864.JPGSAM_0865.JPG

Comment

Working...
                              X