1932 Chief carb line attachment to throttle cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1932 Chief carb line attachment to throttle cable

Hello again. I am looking for some knowledge on what type of line or piece of solid fabricated metal rod I need to connect from a '32 Chief throttle cable to the carb. Sorry, not sure what the correct terminology is for these things, but the throttle cable comes off of the left side of the handlebar, makes a quick bend and goes thru a series of brackets. See attached picture. At some point this cable is cut, and routed into some sort of a fitting, and a piece of metal rod goes from there to the carb....and then the rest of the throttle cable continues on and goes around the back of the motor, and curves around and gets mounted to the bottom of the oil pump. The throttle is supposed to operate the carb as well and the flow of oil for a 32 Chief oil pump. In my case, see pic, things aren't correct, as it has the throttle cable terminating at the carb. Just curious of anyone has a picture of what the setup should be for a '32 Chief, or if someone knows who makes these, or sells them. I talked to Kent Thompson, and he says that he takes an old spoke and bends it to make it fit between the bracketry and the top of the carb....but I have no idea what it looks like. Any help certainly appreciated. Thx, Brent
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Here's a picture from the 101 Association Scout manual :

image_37129.jpg

Then, if you look at Walker Machines part listings you'll see a few of those 1931 only (for the Scout, that is) parts...and maybe this will help you determine the correct way Indian made one cable branch into two...looks like it happened between the two "ears" of the bracket just below the tank and a stiff rod (on Walker's page) was used for the carb while the inner cable continued on its way to the oil pump. On the Scout, anyway!

http://walkermachine.com/handlebaran...trolgroup.aspx
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Thank you very much Harry! From the picture above, Item "G".....is that the "carburetor wire and oil pump wire connection block" from Walker? part number 368387? I see the carburetor throttle lever rod from Walker as well, so that answers that question as to what it looks like. Is the picture above for "K", pointing to another connector that the throttle lever rod hooks into, or is "K" the throttle lever itself? I'm guessing that I need a special connector on top of the carb that accepts the throttle lever rod. Looks like I might need a "throttle lever swivel" from Walker....part # 368390. Thanks again for everyone's help.

Comment

image_37142.jpg Brent, I jumped in because I have the 101 Scout manual that shows the throttle setup, but my own Scout motor is a 1930 and it doesn't have that throttle connection feature to the oil pump. I think that style pump was 1931 to 1933 and was used on Scouts and Chiefs, but I'm not certain they used the same oil pump on the Scout and Chief? Anyway, what I'm saying is that I'm by no means a good source of information! I do like learning, however so I snooped around and found two pictures of the cable setup on '31 Scouts...and it appears the connector block (letter G in the diagram above) that they both used is round rather than a square block like you see at Walkers. If you can you could also poke around and see what you can find for examples...and maybe someone else will chime in here with a more complete answer!

34A912A5-ED02-406B-B52B-1AABEEA3C052.jpeg
        Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Perfect pictures..... I know what I need to do now, thanks very much!

Comment

Okay Harry;
            I couldn't resist here is a 1927 from the Marque of Excellence Mr. T Bingers Scout BEAUTIFUL

T_Binger_27_Scout_left_side_674715636_824118991.jpg

Comment

I sent these pictures to Brent, thought I'd share with everyone. These are original parts for my 31 Chief project. Yes, the 31 and 32 Chief and Scout used the same oil pump and cable setup. The original design used 2 separate cables. One from the handlebar to the front clamp on the bracket. The second cable goes from the rear clamp around the rear cylinder to the oil pump. These 2 cables are connected by a square block with 2 small holes and set screws for the cables. This square block has the corners rounded off and a slight domed top. On the bottom of the square block is a small stud with a cotter pin hole. The throttle rod has a loop rolled onto one end that fits over this pin and is retained by a cotter pin. The carb end has a round barrel with a pin to go into the carb lever, again held with a tiny cotter pin. This round barrel has a hole in it for the throttle rod to slide in, held by a #8-32 set screw. So, the parts shown on Walkers web site will work but are not correct.

Throttle cable 2.jpgThrottle cable 1.jpg

Comment

Thanks again Gene. I'm going to try and make that square block out of steel or brass and make it look as close to these pics as I can.

Comment

Gene, Could you not use a single inside cable wire and cut an outer spiral cover and use a very common single wire throttle cable attachment piece in between the two outer spiral covers. The attachment piece would be like the ones used on Linkerts with the post/cotter key set-up and set screw. Easier than two cables and set screws if you get my drift. That is if your not dragging it out for the judges. The rod with the loop would still fit around it.
                  DrSprocket

Comment

Rich, yes it would be easier in a way to use one continuous cable and split the housing. However, not correct if that matters, for me it does. I can see where having 2 cables might make working on things a bit easier down the road though.

Comment

After a few hours of lathe, drill press and smoke wrench work...... 2 sets ready for plating.

Throttle cable rod and links.jpg

Comment

Looks great Gene.

Comment

Working...
                        X