Intake manifold nipples

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intake manifold nipples

Hello, I am at the point where I have to install the intake manifold nipples. I am a little tentative about drilling thru the nipple and peening a rivet to hold the nipple in place and try to get a gas tight seal. That area of the cylinder is not that robust and I would hate to break off a piece of the cylinder. So on to my question, has anyone used a material to adhere the nipple in place? My second thought was to tap the rivet hole in the cylinder and use a set screw to secure the nipple. I'm interested in your thoughts.
    thanx,
    Tom

I just replaced one on my VL. The area between the rivet hole and the manifold end of the nipple was broke out. I drilled rivet out and removed nipple in bike with internal pipe wrench. I coated threads and interior end of new nipple with Gasolia E Seal (not same as regular Gasoila). Installed with internal pipe wrench and installed good grade allen head screw coated with JB Weld thru old rivet hole from interior of nipple to exterior. Installed double nuts as a lock nut on exterior of screw with red Loctite. Covered broken out area of cylinder between rivet hole and manifold with JB Weld and let dry for several days. Doesn't look good but neither does the bike. Be sure and pressure check with manifold installed.

Comment

First, Greasy Rider,...

Please review http://virtualindian.org/11techleaktest.html, with special note of the rivet anvil that presses outward, so minimal peening can look like the originals.

anvil.jpg
      The trick to sealing the rivet even without a goober, is to achieve a mechanical seal, for which a tapered head serves best:

RIVETRPR.jpg
      A button-head (HD shown on top) barely conforms to the concave surface of the nipple, whereas the tapered-head rivet beneath it wedges into the hole for a seal.

Although I have found no evidence that HD used a sealer, but it appears to be white lead on this NOS Chief cylinder:
      NIPLSEAL.jpg

Got a lathe?

....Cotten
      Last edited by T. Cotten; 02-20-2023, 11:42 AM.
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Cotton, yes I am familiar with your method and the configuration of the rivet and I agree with you. My concern is peening the end of the rivet and breaking a piece off. And yes, I do have a lathe. Thanx for both responses.
        tom

Comment

If your rivet hole is reamed clean, Greasy..

And you cut a fresh oversized rivet to a light press fit within the hole,..

Then its shank will barrel-out to secure it with just smack or two.

Over-peening should be avoided, of course. A large nail cooked in coals and left to cool overnight becomes quite malleable, and easy to machine.

....Cotten
          PS: Why were the nipples removed?
          Last edited by T. Cotten; 02-21-2023, 09:18 AM.
          AMCA #776

Comment

Cotten PS: Why were the nipples removed?

Because they leaked.
            Tom

Comment

Most unusual for a Chief, Tom,..

Especially both of them; Although I never was tasked with a Chief, I still feel your pain.

....Cotten
              AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
              X