Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1941 Chief Broken Kick start stud

​ Fellow indian riders,
    The Kick start stud sheared off when I tried to start my bike.. The long end is stuck in the vertical piece of the frame. I have removed the square head set screw but the stud is still stuck. The kick start crank is intact. None of 10 teeth display any wear.
    Can some suggest how to remove broken stud without damaging the frame. I have attached two images to show my predicament.
    Anyone have any thoughts on replacing the 10 tooth with 12 tooth kick start crank.
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

Moto, here's an older Forum thread on the subject:

https://forum.antiquemotorcycle.org/...tud#post293117

My only experience with this operation was on a '29 Scout, same idea with different casting and it came out after I warmed it with an electric heat gun and several whacks. Good luck!

(BTW, your pictures don't show up for me)
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Moto
      Bummer; on Mike Tomas Kiwi Indian site he has a tech video of removing a kickstart stud (LOT of heat). I don't recall the year frame he was working on. Believe you can find him on youtube as well. (Your pictures did not show up for me either) Keep us posted. Good Luck

Comment

Moto,when mine broke I welded a bolt to the stud and used a slide hammer,the heat from the weld penetrated the stud pretty well through the stud. Wasn't the easiest thing to do but it worked and if your handy with a welder it might work for you.

Comment

^^^^^^^ this would be my suggestion too. You could also drill and tap the stud then use slide hammer

Comment

Working...
          X