DLX130 Carburettor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DLX130 Carburettor

Hi, I'm restoring a 1940 Chief and have the correct DLX130 carb. Does anyone know if these were all painted black on newly delivered bikes? Mine and others I have seen appears to never have been painted although I know earlier DLX108 carbs were. Thank you in advance, Matt Willis, Melbourne Australia.

Yes, Matt!

(Although Hatfield cited early Zamac carbs to be bare, it is unlikely they would be produced without a protective coating.)

Here's a '40 NOS 122...
    122NOS.jpg
    The bowl is a slightly different alloy, and took paint differently from the body; At least you don't have to worry if the bowl lid was painted,..

....Cotten
    PS: Note '40-only throttleshaft, bowl gasket, bowlcap with gasket, and copper bowlstem crushwasher with unique nut. I wish we could see the tops of the needle knobs...
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 01-31-2023, 11:41 AM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Cotton,
      That was my NOS carb. Sold it a while ago but took a bunch of pics before it went away....

DSC05202.JPG

Comment

I appreciate it for my pic collection, Wallaman, thanks!

(Sadly, its often hard for me to save enough information in a file name.)

Did it come out of the box with the bowl on the wrong side?

....Cotten
        AMCA #776

Comment

Cotton,
          We're both getting old. LOL! You asked me that when I first posted the original pic a couple years back. I had taken the carb apart to take pics of the internals before I sold it, and clearly wasn't paying attention when I put it back together. That said, I can't guarantee it hadn't been taken apart before I got it in the box a few decades before that and put back together on the wrong side. I have a hard time remembering yesterday anymore much less a few years ago!

Oh, just looked at my "Join Date" (2020) under my name and "New Member" designation.... I have a vague recollection of joining this nefarious group back in the 90's (just looked at my membership card and it says '95). Thinking someone out there could fix that...?

Thanks.
          Chuck S.

Comment

If I didn't have email, Wallaman,...

I'd have no memory at all.

The forum has been reformatted a few times, and it wouldn't give me back my name as just "Cotten" (because: it was already taken).

Back to topic, '40 Schebs were an exercise in futility.

Their pressed ("spun?") brass venturies were a leap off a cliff (shown here stuck upon a mandrel).

BRASVNT2.jpg

But our obligation to History is to record these mistakes, lest they are inevitably repeated.
            (Forgive me if I repeat my questions, for I ask them for Posterity, far more than myself.)

....Cotten
            Last edited by T. Cotten; 02-01-2023, 01:51 PM.
            AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
            X