1948 chief forks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1948 chief forks

G,day , i am wondering if anyone knows was it a common practise for this year police bikes 1948 to have the telescopic forks put onto them , say in 1950 and up . i have a mate looking at a 1948 chief with the telescopic forks , for sale and the owner is saying this is a conversion they did . i have played with indian chiefs since 1982 and have never heard this before , is there anyone that can tell me more please , cheers Rob

Hairy
    Looking in Hattfield's Restoration Guide it notes:

1949 External Changes:
    "The Chief wasn't mass produced for the 1949 season due to production difficulties with the1949 Arrow single and Scout vertical twin.
    Only a very few Chiefs were built with hand clutch and foot shift."

(Curiously Figure 242 shows "prototype 1949 Chief" with telescopic front fork; hand clutch and foot shift.)

1950 External Changes
    "The Chief returned to the line-up in 1950 and the headline feature was the new telescopic front fork. These had black legs."

So that a Police Department would retro fit a 1948 with a new front end that was not commonly available until 1950 seems curious
    Unless the 1948 girder was worn out or damaged, why replace it?

I recall seeing ads for the Vard telescopic front end that would replace the girder but again the expense.

Comment

PaulCDF thanks for your reply, I think as a replacement through an accident would be about the only real reason .

Comment

Are they Indian forks like used on the 50-53? Or could be VARD aftermarket forks which was being made in that time period.
        Jason Zerbini
        Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
        Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

Maybe this helps...

Vard ad.jpg

....Cotten
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

genuine VARD forks are worth a grip of money these days... there is a guy in Orange, CA. building very nice replica VARD forks. VARDMFG.com you better get a second job !!
            When I called him about them he said he has some parts in stock ready for shipment, I'm still looking for that second job.

C2K

Comment

Working...
            X