No announcement yet.

Adding a hand clutch to a 1938 Chief???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a hand clutch to a 1938 Chief???

Before i attempt to add a hand clutch to a 1938 Chief, has anyone succeeded in doing so? The issues is I am a left leg amputee above the knee, so I either have to add a hand clutch or move the foot clutch to the rh side. With a hand clutch, the throttle and shifter need to be on the same side, which is easily done on the bike.

thank you!

many have hand clutch lever mounted to the top of the shift lever with throttle on other side

Comment

Ryan, If you hooked an HD style '68 and above clutch cable (may need shortened) to the pivot arm your foot clutch rod attaches to and you have a heavy enough spring to return it it should work. I have seen a clutch lever attached to shift lever so when you reach to shift the lever you squeeze the clutch lever too. That would leave your throttle and front brake on the other side intact. Mechanically it could be worked out but would take practice to operate. This is if a Chief works like the old Scouts with the clutch pivot arm on the primary cover, I'm a HD guy so I don't know. Good luck.
      DrSprocket

Comment

Give Gary Stark ( Starklite Cycles) a call... Bob Stark (RIP) had designed a hand clutch conversion several years ago. I saw one 20yrs ago at his Museum, mounted on a skirted Chief

Another guy is Jim Mosher, at PerformanceIndian.com . Jim has a hand clutch on his Twin Engine Bonneville Scout. Also, Robin Markey may be of help. I'm sure you'll find someone out there in the Indian world. Good Luck.

C2K

Comment

Ah, Yes !! I looked a little deeper in my files.... and YES, on page 69 (bottom of the page) of the old Starklite Catalog, spirial bound. with Bob's Rainbow Chief (yellow background) on the cover.
          1999-2006 printing. Again, Good Luck

C2K

Comment

Perhaps you could adapt/modify retrofit a Harley "Mousetrap"?
            DO keep us posted on this project.

Comment

"Thoro" made a hand clutch, foot shift conversion kit for Indian, but they are very thin on the ground!
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Howdy sir,

Chiefs were designed to haul a heavy side car with no bike modification (unlike Vincent’s with changes to rake with C series front fork adjustments, etc..) over solo. With 16 springs your Chief has behind excessive clutch clamping pressure for which you will not find any happiness with a hand clutch change in that configuration., ie, by the time you get if below the bear-trap closure pressure at the handle you’ll not have enough travel for complete disengagement. It is imperative to fit a modern high stiction (Kevlar or sinter bronze Qua, best) clutch enabling the use of 12 springs or less. Also, to be searched at this site on previous posts, stack height is very important to avoid coil bind. This is a multi faceted system which when addressed in unison is nearly the measure of even the benchmark, the post 40 HD.
                Cheerio,
                Peter
                1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Thank you very much for all input on this subject. In addition, I found an old forum with information and several pictures of hand clutch conversions.
                  ​​​​A clutch lever on a shifter handle is not needed, the hand shifter just needs to be on the same side as the throttle,
                  ​​​
                  https://groups.io/g/VirtualIndian/to...C20%2C0&jump=1
                  Last edited by ryan; 09-12-2022, 04:49 AM.

Comment

Excellent Ryan;
                    That Virtual Indian site is a real find. Good information, good start. You are on your way.
                    If I could ask how do you manage your side stand?

Comment

Originally posted by PaulCDF View Post
                      Excellent Ryan;
                      That Virtual Indian site is a real find. Good information, good start. You are on your way.
                      If I could ask how do you manage your side stand?
                      As far as the side stand goes, I will more than likely add an Indian SC sidecar.
                      Last edited by ryan; 09-12-2022, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X