47 chief magneto ignition wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 47 chief magneto ignition wire

I am looking for some help wiring a 1947 chief Magneto ignition. I changed out the switch with a starklite switch. The wiring diagram shows the mag getting wired into the #5 port. After calling Starklite (if I understood them correctly) they told me the #5 port has a negative ground connection when the key is turned on. I tested it with a tester and I get no ground or charge with that outlet. The wide coming from the mag is grounded I assume inside the mag. I am getting no spark from the mag. I am thinking of by passing the ignition switch and grounding the wire going to the mag just to test it. My question is am I looking at this right? Should the wire going to the mag from the ignition be a ground? What is confusing me is that when I put a tester to the wire coming from the mag its grounded already someplace inside the mag.. Thank you for your help.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Fred Leach
    Cape Cod Ma.
    1946 Indian Chief
    1947 Indian Chief Roadmaster Bonni
    2014 Indian #450 Chieftain
    2013 Vic Vision

On a mag or universal switch one terminal will have continuity to ground in the off position and open or disconnected from ground in the ign, position.
    If you disconnect the mag wire it should spark.Multi meter readings can be confusing with a mag,thats why you cant use one to see when points open like on a distributor.
    If with no wire connected and you have no spark you have a problem in the magneto.
    Tom

Comment

Thank you tfburke3 That sounds right. I will take the wire off and see if I get a spark.
      Fred Leach
      Cape Cod Ma.
      1946 Indian Chief
      1947 Indian Chief Roadmaster Bonni
      2014 Indian #450 Chieftain
      2013 Vic Vision

Comment

Working...
      X