chief frame again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chief frame again

001.JPG can someone identify the year of this chief frame it has a 6 3/4" head stock the pictures shows what looks like an extra ear in the center where the seat post comes down, this prevents the center stand from working? 001.JPG
    Attached Files
    Last edited by cscott; 05-21-2022, 09:52 AM.

Iam beginning to think this is an early 46 frame and they used some left over center sections in the frame const. The foot board support goes over the exhaust not under and it has the 6 3/4 steering head. Does this sound possible?

Comment

"(A)n extra ear in the center where the seat post comes down"

CSC; Sorry for the delay took me a bit to get under the bike with a light an camera (I struggle w digital tech)
      Anyway my 46 has same tab/ear (Excuse the dirt)

46 Frame Bottom 1.JPG
      Attached Files

Comment

thanks for going through that trouble, is your 46 an early number? I think 46 only had about 3600 chiefs

Comment

Low 900s so first 25% production run for that year I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by cscott View Post
            Iam beginning to think this is an early 46 frame and they used some left over center sections in the frame const. The foot board support goes over the exhaust not under and it has the 6 3/4 steering head. Does this sound possible?
            I believe a 6 3/4 neck plunger frame would be 46-53.
            Leaf spring necks are about 7 3/4,at least 34-39.I think the plunger leaf frame would be 73/4 also but I have no examples.
            Tom

Comment

I'll jump in admitting no knowledge of frame history, yet mine is like Paul's and yours with that center "ear".

It doesn't interfere with the center stand and '46 frames are supposed to have the exhaust routed under the footboard bracket (first year for that)....but '46 exhaust does not have the clip over the the footboard bracket...the pipe runs under with no fasteners.

(..and I have to go look at my bike if you want to know how early...off hand I'd say mid 2000's numbers).

Oh, and Kudos to Paul for that picture! Hard to take a picture that good under there with poor lighting!
              Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

"can someone identify the year of this chief frame"

CSC apologies again we are perhaps over-thinking this. Back to Basics:

These links will show you how to decipher your frames numbers to determine year:

https://www.jerrygreersengineering.c...fy-your-indian

or

https://starklite.com/indian-motorcy...an-motorcycle/

Comment

do you have 16" or 18" rims? thanks

Comment

16" rims here.
                    Did you ever find any numbers to date your frame?
                    Last edited by PaulCDF; 06-05-2022, 01:27 PM.

Comment

no they were removed because it had a 47 motor on it, it is a 46 frame and from what i can tell it was a running change with that center casting , as they changed the center stand at some point.

Comment

"47 motor on it, it is a 46 frame"

For my two cents nothing wrong with a non-matching numbers bike as long as you the owner like it.

Comment

Working...
                        X