Difference between 47 chief tanks and other years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between 47 chief tanks and other years

I'm looking for some insight on this so I get it right. I've got mis matched tanks and want to know exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks.

What doesn’t match?
    caps,dash cutout,rear tank taper, emblem mounts?
    pics would help
    tom
    Last edited by tfburke3; 03-31-2022, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Tank badges were changed for the '47 model. By '48, changes were made to the tank to allow for the newly introduced speedo dashboard and key switch. The tanks were designed to allow for the frame changes for the new front wheel drive speedo assy introduced in '48. The specific script badges were 47-53. The decals behind the script badges were introduced in 1950.

One of the easiest ways to identify the tanks is the upper inside edge of the tank, where the sheet metal is shaped and contoured to allow for the speedo. The opening for the speedo may look similar, but if the tanks were sitting side-by-side, you will notice the lower portion of the hole is extended to the rear, which allows for the positioning of the speedo unit (changed to a Stewart Warner speedometer in '48). The difference in the tanks isn't easily noticeable, it takes a trained eye to see the difference, unless the tanks are sitting side-by-side, where you can see the opening. The clearance is only about 1/2", and to the untrained eye you may not spot the difference until you try and mount the tanks on the '48 frame. The '48 thru '53 frames were designed for the front wheel speedo drive assy. The frame neck was lengthened, the mount for the dash was relocated, and a hole through the upper frame spine to allow for the speedo cable.

Hatfield's Restoration Guide has pics and info regarding these changes.

Hope this helps. C2K

Comment

That's exactly what I was hoping for Chief. Tom, I'll work on posting pics now.

Comment

Here they are. Ignore the caps
          IMG_6939.jpegIMG_6943.jpegIMG_6941.jpegIMG_6940.jpegIMG_6942.jpeg

Comment

One looks to be silver soldered and the other brazed. One has holes for the badge and the other does not. The green on the inside of the oil and fuel side is where the side has separated from the top.Fittings and petcocks are also stuck. The bike is a confirmed 47. I don't know what tanks I've got here, though C2K's description has certainly caused me to learn some things.

Comment

The left tank looks like a 52-53 or perhaps as far back as 1950. You will notice the rear is tapered back more to the rear mount. Late tanks were silver soldered.
              Tom

Comment

Thanks for the observation. Would a 47 have the threaded inserts in the tank for mounting the tank badges?

Comment

Alex...civilian tanks from 1940 and up had metal badges on them, and '47 was the same badge up through the end in '53. '40 to '46 civilian had brackets soldered to the tanks to mount the badges. My guesses are, solely judging from the lack of any mount for a badge, that either the soldered bracket fell off, or it's military, or it's pre-1940.
                  Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

I think the left is 52-53 with the tapered rear.Right looks like 38-46 with no emblem screws.For 47 you could fill the dash gap on the left tank but the rears will look off.
                    Tom

Comment

Thanks all, I'm going to source aftermarket tanks for now while I look for the correct ones for this bike. That gets it on the road quicker (I have some patience but not an overwhelming amount). Just so I'm clear on this, 1947 started the three screw badge that was screwed into inserts in the tank. Is that correct?

Comment

yes 47-53.Without seeing the insides that left tank looks nice and to me nicer and better made tank than the earlier soldered tanks.Good trading value to an 80 guy.
                        A matching right 52-53 would be nice but not year correct,and the dash gaps would have be filled.

Comment

Good point. I may haul it with me to Denton NC this year and see what's there to be haggled over.

Comment

Working...
                          X