primary chain adjuster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• primary chain adjuster

In my ongoing quest to keep as much of the petroleum products that I can inside my Chief until they're ready to come out the exhaust, I think I finally found the source of an annoying oil leak that's been present for years! I've always had oil caught in the airflow and paint the side of my toolbox, battery, and frame. I had chased filler and drain plugs, the clutch worm, and even the primary case itself but it wasn't until yesterday when I found a small puddle underneath the primary adjusting screw that I got my "aha" moment! I don't believe I've ever had to remove that screw, so now it's going back in with some Hylomar on the threads. Just a quicky posting here in case anyone else has a leak on that side that they cannot locate!

adjuster.jpg
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Ah ha !! The old primary tensioner adjuster bolt... YES, I have experienced a leak at this very location. Several years ago, on a Natl. Road Run at Lake Tahoe, I had parked my bike after a short ride to a breakfast cafe, when I noticed a massive puddle of oil directly below the primary cover. Turned out, the long pointed bolt and the outer "jamb nut", a special length fastener was completely missing !! and the hole is a big one, which allowed alot of oil to escape !!

I had ridden my bike the previous day, for about 150+ miles, (luckily) the bolt fell out close enough to the hotel that the fix was fairly easy (although, trying to secure the new bolt/nut in a very hidden and hard to reach location, under the frame leg and primary cover). Finding an auto parts store (on a Sunday morning) was the biggest challenge.
    I replaced the missing parts with a common SAE bolt/nut. My biggest concern was how much oil had escaped, and was my tranny empty ? almost, but not empty.

The hardest part was trying to reach the "jamb nut" (now, a much shorter common nut) with a wrench, to be sure it was tightened fully. A field repair, I was afraid this condition might re-occur. To my surprise, my roadside fix lasted the rest of the weekend, and I replaced the correct parts when I returned home.

Goes without saying, I check that particular fastener often...

Comment

Working...
    X