12volt horn for chief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12volt horn for chief

my 50 chief horn doesnt seem to like 12v.
    It makes a snap and barely audible honk compared to the original weak honk.
    My options seem to be try and adjust horn or
    Stark has repro that says 6v or 12v.Wish I could hear the horn on 12v.
    Any feedback on horns appreciated.
    JP cycles has 113db model with similat face fpr $18 so that may be an option.
    Tom

My story is that when I converted to 12V I simply kept the 6V horn in place, and it worked fine (occasional use only). Until one day the horn button got stuck and the horn started smoking and quit! So I sent it to Roger Long and he sold me a new back with a rewound coil suitable for 12V use. If you don't have the Perry Ruiter discussion of horns I think it goes a long way to telling how to adjust your horn, but not convert it to 12V. From what I understand, using a 6V horn on a 12V system works but you run the risk of cooking the coil and/or points if you lay on the horn too long!

ruiter.ca Horn overhaul treatise.pdf
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

I used a resistence with 1,8 Ohm and about 25 W.

Comment

Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post
        My story is that when I converted to 12V I simply kept the 6V horn in place, and it worked fine (occasional use only). Until one day the horn button got stuck and the horn started smoking and quit! So I sent it to Roger Long and he sold me a new back with a rewound coil suitable for 12V use. If you don't have the Perry Ruiter discussion of horns I think it goes a long way to telling how to adjust your horn, but not convert it to 12V. From what I understand, using a 6V horn on a 12V system works but you run the risk of cooking the coil and/or points if you lay on the horn too long!

[ATTACH]n297206[/ATTACH]
        Thanks for the link pisten-bulley.Im going to try and make the 6v work.
        Thanks Pandit,I have read of model t ford guys using similar resistors.
        Tom

Comment

I sent my horn to RogerLong to swap my original 6v horn base for a very authentic looking Spartan12v base and my original face.
          Turnaround time was about a week
          blows loud and I would recommend Rogers services.
          Tom

Comment

Working...
          X