12 volt bulbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 volt bulbs

I need bulb numbers for 50 chief for 6v to 12 volt conversion.
    Gen indicator light , dash light and tail/brake light.
    Thanks
    Tom

Thanks,Everything is currently stock 6v.
    I was hoping to find 12v that would require no socket changes.I may eventually go Led for headlight but right now the dash and tail light are the problem.
    I know Stark sells a 12v tail light assembly but was hoping to avoid changing the base and armored cable .
    Tom

Comment

I've referred to this page before to find the bulb base style, then looked for a bulb with the correct voltage in the base style I need

Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post
        I've referred to this page before to find the bulb base style, then looked for a bulb with the correct voltage in the base style I need
        Thanks,for linlk. Site seems to be leds,mostly headight bulbs.I have sealed beam so lots of options for headlight .
        Looking on the net it seems my tail light options are new 12v socket ,which I would get Starks complete 12v tail light assembly,or grind the high pin off an 1157 if the base and contacts line up..
        Stark also lists the 12v dash bulbs so no problem there.
        Tom

Comment

Tom, I was just thinking that if you could determine the base you need ( likely ba15d or bay15d) then you could find them at a place like this: http://www.classicautobulbs.com/auto...cent_bulbs.htm

That earlier site, Classic Vintage Bulbs is in Australia so you'd pay way more for postage! ( I have purchased from Don's Bulbs before, but he's retired.)

Comment

I have had great results from a place called "The Little British Car Co." I opted for halogen bulbs from them and they seem to provide MUCH greater light than the LED's. I believe that it is due to them being designed for Lens optics as opposed to Reflector optics. The LED seems very scattered and not really effective for seeing down the road too far. The taillight bulbs were MUCH brighter also, through my very dark VL taillight lens. In any case....they have a wide range of both 6v and 12v in conventional, LED and Halogen bulbs in many base and pin styles. Good, quick, service also, and I'm not connected with them in any way. Hope this helps....Smitty
            Last edited by HDSmitty; 03-04-2022, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Thanks but any bulb selection seems dependent on a 12v socket.I would love a 12v bulb that fits the 6v tailight socket.
              Tom

Comment

For the taillamp, a BA15 6V or 12V have the same base. BA = two bayonets opposite each other. BAY= two bayonets offset. The 15=15mm diameter base. The S= single terminal, the D=dual terminal. So a BA15D is 15mm in diameter with bayonet pins opposite each other with dual terminals, BAY15D is 15mm diameter with two bayonet pins where one is higher than the other, dual terminal. Either base is available in 6V or 12V and I'm guessing an original taillamp uses BA15D, replacement ones use BAY15D.

Comment

Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post
                  For the taillamp, a BA15 6V or 12V have the same base. BA = two bayonets opposite each other. BAY= two bayonets offset. The 15=15mm diameter base. The S= single terminal, the D=dual terminal. So a BA15D is 15mm in diameter with bayonet pins opposite each other with dual terminals, BAY15D is 15mm diameter with two bayonet pins where one is higher than the other, dual terminal. Either base is available in 6V or 12V and I'm guessing an original taillamp uses BA15D, replacement ones use BAY15D.
                  Thanks pisten-bully for that breakdown.
                  Using BAY15D for a search lead me to what appears to be exactly what I need for the tailight/brakelight,GE 2357
                  Thanks again,
                  Tom

Comment

I wanted to switch from 6v to 12v leds on a 41 Sport Scout and found bulbs on Amazon. I have an original taillight socket so it needs the straight pins, but I just filed off the high offset pin and it seemed to work fine.

23A2077F-41BA-44E7-8A2A-A012C565BEDC.jpeg421D363D-C777-47CE-800A-224B7B175F22.jpeg

Here is the bulb I picked, it is a little smaller then the original bulb, and I went with the red leds cause I thought the white would be too bright.

CC89F3DB-F52C-41AF-99F1-8529CBA02C53.jpegB4F12C4B-51B2-4B60-A045-87266CCE5DCC.jpeg
                    the bulbs are a little pricey but you get 2 in a pack, they much brighter then stock, draw less amps and should probably never need to be replaced.

Comment

I did the same for the front fender light

6A10B01C-4A38-436A-A211-223408E8EDB4.jpegC8533856-0C33-4A99-AA18-ACBC9847BB62.jpeg

I got the frosted white bulbs, they come with the straight pins, they are a little smaller then the stock bulbs but much brighter

555AB139-6393-41C9-BA6C-FB10E81BE614.jpeg

you probably have the Indian face fender light so I tried it in one, looks yellowish but probably cause of the repop face material

8BD499BA-9B05-4B19-98C0-BA8441FE1EFF.jpeg

Comment

Originally posted by FLFD7 View Post
                        I went with the red leds cause I thought the white would be too bright.
                        You made the right choice but for the wrong reason. White LEDs emit the whole spectrum of light but the tail light lens blocks all but the red, so you are only seeing a portion of the LED's light. The red lens lets all of a red LEDs light thru, so it is actually brighter and easier to see even though its rated for less lumens.

Thanks for the pictures, that's not easy to do.
                        AMCA #41287
                        1971 Sprint SS350 project
                        1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
                        1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
                        1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
                        96" Evo Softail self built chopper
                        2012 103" Road King "per diem"
                        plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

Thanks to everyone who posted the pics and links of the led options.I used incandescent for now and a halogen headlamp,but lots of good info if I decide to go led.
                          Tom

Comment

joe fxs fxr, I was told to use red led bulbs under red lenses but was never told why. Thank you for the explanation. Does anyone know of the led bulb to replace the number 63 six volt bulb? Used in fender lamps and cat's eye dashes .
                            Dave

Comment

Working...
                            X