Replacement side stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement side stand

What is the best replacement side stand for a 46 Chief?

Jerry Geers

https://www.jerrygreersengineering.c...946&model_id=2

Starklite

https://starklite.com/indian-motorcy...ide-stand-leg/

I have had excellent experience with both.

Comment

The '46 Side Stand at Jerry Greers has been out of stock since May of 2021! I asked Starklite for a photo of their '46 side stand but they didn't want to send me a photo.Said it takes too long to do that.
      Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Hmmm;

Side Stand Jacob Junker 2 .jpg

"Orginal, part # 87060, 1940 - 1947 Chief, Side Stand, use with 5.00x16"or, 4.00x18" tire, fair condition. "

Vintage Cycle Bay AKA Jacob Junker

Good Luck

Comment

Unless you're committed to using the 46-style side stand (to keep your bike year correct) I'd recommend you convert to the 48-style. I believe it is a better, safer design.

Steve Slaminko

Comment

Jacob Junker has those to;
            NEW, # 821002, 1940 - 1948 Chief, "Jiffy" Side Stand, New mint condition.

Jacob Junker side stand B.jpgJacob Junker side stand C.jpg

Comment

Thank you Steve. That's a better choice.

Comment

In my earlier post... I SHOULD have mentioned the ones that Greer is out of stock on is the one for the 16" wheels. The 18" version he has in stock.
                Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Paul,
                  If I remember correctly the 48 style side stand uses a longer front motor mount bolt. If you decide to convert keep that in mind.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by slamiste View Post
                    convert to the 48-style. I believe it is a better, safer design.
                    Steve, why is the forward mounted '48 stand safer? I'm not debating or doubting your statement, just curious!

Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post

Steve, why is the forward mounted '48 stand safer? I'm not debating or doubting your statement, just curious!
                      Since "safer" is a matter of opinion perhaps I should have just said I thought the 48 style was "better". In any case here's what I don't like about the 46 style:
                      1. My experience is that to get the 46 stand down you must lean the bike over center to the right more than I'd like, kick the stand down then lower the bike onto the stand. This is not a pro
                      2. The 46 style is like a pirate's pug leg. It will quickly sink into the ground, or eventually sink into hot/warm asphalt. If you're not paying attention your bike will fall over, hopefully not into someone else's bike. If you kick the bike with leaning on the side stand (which I do not but I see allot of people do) side stand sinking is also a problem.
                      3. Forgetting to put the side stand up before taking off is a potential disaster. I primarily ride Harleys where the side stand is in the forward position so I'm in the habit of looking in that direction for a properly stored side stand.

In my experience the 48 style stand alleviates these concerns, maybe not totally, but provides an easy improvement. What I stated is my opinion only and I'm open to counterpoints.

Comment

I asked because I recalled that a while ago Gary Stark was on a ride with friends on other vintage Indians, and one of the riders crashed, fatally, due to (maybe, or maybe not) his sidestand being left down. So I was wondering if you had more background on the safety of one style over the other.

Gary posted on this forum about the accident, it's confusing because he said the fellow rode a '48, but when the accident happened he was on a '46???...and he couldn't see that his sidestand was down, just as you mentioned Steve. (I've been distracted and left my sidestand down, it scrapes and then it comes up..fast!)

https://forum.antiquemotorcycle.org/...-13#post137308
                        Last edited by pisten-bully; 02-28-2022, 08:25 PM.
                        Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

46’ owner with a ‘48 stand installed. I totally agree with everything Steve shared. It’s an excellent retrofit for sure.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                          X