Chief Rear Fenders 1948 vs 1947

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chief Rear Fenders 1948 vs 1947

Are the 1948 and 1947 and earlier Chief rear fenders the same except that the 1947 has the hole for the speedometer cable or are they a different stamping?

Diablo;

I am no expert on this.

Checked my copy of Jerry Hatfield Indian Motorcycle Restoration
    Hatfield notes as your said: Pages 158-159 CHART 1.16 External Changes on the 1948 Chiefs
    "rear fender left side, no hole for speedometer drive."

Checking Jerry Geers note for REAR Fenders Geers lists:

1948 Chief
    Geers Part # 407019

Geers Part #Part Number: 407012
    This part also fits:
    Fender - Rear
    1946 Chief
    1947 Chief

Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks. I have a 47 and older fender to use on my 48 project so I think I will fill in the hole and use it. Thanks again-Doug

Comment

This is a good question, because besides the speedo cable hole you have to wonder about the fender mount tabs on the upper front of the fender, (above the generator, below the seat) where the fender mounts to the frame cross member. '48 was the changeover to a curved cross member, so did Indian fabricate the new cross member to accommodate the exact same location of those mounting points for either cross member style...or are they different?
        Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Was it a running change during the 48 year that the cross member changed from round tube to square stock or was it from day 1 of the 48 manufacturing? Mine is square stock.
          D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

I was wondering the same thing about the rear cross member mounting Harry.
            The frame cross member was definitely a early/mid year change in 48. I forget around what VIN range the change was made. I believe Hatfields book covered the change. My VIN is in the 3200s and it has the later squared member.
            Jason Zerbini
            Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
            Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

The square vs round fender brace on '48 Chief frames was discussed about 10 years ago on the Virtual Indian list. Mike Breeding thought the change was made at about serial number 3000. Someone else reported having S/N CDH3030 and said his frame had the round brace.

dkgoz
              Dave Goesling

Comment

Checking Hatfield's Indian Motocycle Restoration Guide author notes under external changes 48 Chief Chart 1.16: "frame, rear crossbar (next to rear fender) changed from tubular to rectangular cross section, running change made in March 1948 (middle of 1948-model production)"

Comment

1947 and 1948 Chief fenders are identical except the the hole for the speedo cable on the 48 is punched, similar to an outlet box hole, but the center section is not removed.

Comment

Working...
                  X