Girder front end spring holder removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girder front end spring holder removal

47 Chief - The top and bottom mounts for the springs on the front end have nuts that (seem to) hold them to the springs. How do I get separate the springs from the mounts? They need to be cleaned and painted.

Roadhome, the coils twist onto the seats. There are grooves in the seats that the coils more or less thread, or twist, onto (was looking for a picture but couldn't find one)
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Thanks Henry, I was looking at that and put an immense amount of force into just spinning them off with no luck, I saw that 1/2" bolt head inside and thought there might be a clamp. I'll stop jumping down the wrong path, head back to the shop and try break free and maybe some heat (although that concerns me to use on springs. If I've learned nothing I've learned to walk away from a task when I'm not sure how to proceed. When I was younger that spring would be cut into little pieces scattered around the floor!

Comment

If the spring mounts are secured,say in a vise,take a drift ,line up with spring end and give it a shot hopefully while an extra pair of hands applies some twist.
        Tom

Comment

Alex, Tom's got a good idea, and you can also try a little penetrating oil and use a strap wrench on the coil to give you a little more twisting leverage!
          Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Howdy sir,

Strap wrench best idea. Note, when attempting “unscrew” any spiral wound spring off of a secured mount that it will collapse ever so slightly like a tightening noose when rotated in direction of the coil winding. If these have have been mounted to those perches for any length of time they may be frozen. You need to shock them in the tightening direction momentarily to break that bond before attempting to turn them off.
            Cheerio,
            Peter
            1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

When I couldn't get them to budge on my first attempts at unscrewing them I went to overthinking the solution. It was clear to my befuddled mind that unreachable 1/2' head inside the spring was the problem (of course it was not). I got fixated on that and I failed to see any other solution. After you guys pointing me in the right direction all it took was clamping the mount in the vice, and tapping the end of the spring with a flat end punch in revers direction. I had all the holders off in less than 5 minutes. Ha! Doah! Soon I'll be making a post about fuel tanks.They may be the next big challenge, dunno, there's a list bringing this thing back. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
              X