Crocker/ Firestone tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crocker/ Firestone tires

I am running Firestone 4.50x18 tires on my 1940 chief ,but am disappointed in how fast they wear ,back wheel is off now for brake shoe replacement,any recommendations for another brand of tire thanks jerry

Try Coker Firestone ANS 450x 18" they will last a long long time.
    Last edited by dennis49; 01-19-2022, 05:04 PM.
    dennis49

Comment

Avon MK II

Comment

What do you call fast? How many miles did you get out of it?
        Jason Zerbini
        Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
        Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

I like the Coker 4.50 x 18 for it's looks, and I think they have good grip. I also ran them on my 1940 Chief with no problems, and good wear. My problem with that tire is it's too expensive for what you get. I am considering the Avon MK II that PaulCDF mentioned for my '41 Scout because it's a better built tire, and sells for a decent price. However, I am more concerned with looks for a vintage bike and I don't know if I'll be happy looking at a more modern tire on the Scout. As I said, I think the Coker has good grip for a show tire. I do enjoy pushing it a bit and the Coker seems to be okay with that, but these old bikes do have lousy brakes, and other issues that make tires something of a moot point in the safety equation.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

Jason's got a good question, basically what're you looking for when it comes to mileage? It seems like there's some slim pickings in the 4.50-18 size, Avons are good, I like them, but I only see them in 4.00-18, ditto some others including the Dunlops. Dennis49 likes the Firestone ANS, is that what you've been using? (...asked because I see Coker carries another Firestone labeled tire, not ANS) Shinkos?
            Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Howdy chaps,

I’ve run Coker 4.50x18 diamond treads only on my 440 since 1994 and OK with some rapid wear. This softer compound imparts much need traction which if caught in the occasional rain while inspire the confidence (safety) one needs when navigating wet roads with primitive suspension/brakes. Most importantly they have a rounded carcass when viewed in profile, hugely important when transitioning from vertical to leaned over in a turn, and, they are safe at 22-25 psi to ensure a decent contact patch as well as providing a springing medium that crude leaf fronts and undamped sprung rears can duty cycle successfully with.

On the other hand, Avon SM’s - a superb tire I’ve run on my Vincent’s since the 90’s - have the carcass configuration in profile of a side car tire which grows more square with wear. Though tolerable with a discernible uneasy transition to those of sensitive back sides when leaning over into a bend, they are diabolical when used on front. This “square” profile means you go from full contact patch at vertical, transitioning over a much narrower patch at the edge of the tread blocks when leaning into a bend. Couple this with modern construction and hysteresis, it is advisable to run at least 30 psi for which the harshness only grows more profound as they wear. Though accommodated by shock absorber equipped swing arms and telescopic front ends, this can be misery on leaf spring equipped Indians, and especially pre-40 machines.
              Cheerio,
              Peter
              1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

my advice on coker/firestones is just buy them when you need them.I have a pair ,never used,on a progect bike that has sidewall cracking.These tires are beyond what most people consider the 10 year age cut off for tires,but its dissapointing especially when I have nos firestones that must be at least 60yearsold with no crackng.But they are also rockhard and after a brief slippery ride came off for repros.I also have an almost new goodyear 450x18 that Is probably 50+ years old,I've had it 40+,and still no cracking.
                Tom

Comment

Cracking is my most critical complaint about Coker tires in general, Tom. For the money they demand for their tires, I would expect a quality product. Perhaps their automotive tires are better, but their motorcycle tires have been an expensive, and quality plagued issue for me. Having said that, I do appreciate a company that will make replica vintage motorcycle tires; but for crying out loud, put a little love (or good rubber) in your products.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

I have 2 different bikes in the shop with Coker tires, one of them the tire(not the rim) has a spot where the sidewall bulged out .100 for aprox 2 inches never been run, the other one the tread is out of round a lot, for the price I am with exeric, wish they would try harder to make us a quality tire.

Comment

I get about 3000 miles on rear Avon SMs on the Chief. I have found the handling characteristics Peter outlined is right on....but certainly you can get used to it. The Avon is a good combination of a quality tire with classic appearance hence why we see them on so many antique bikes.

Last year I put modern Dunlops on the 64 Duo Glide and wow, what a HUGE difference in handling and they are supposed to last at least twice as long. Only sacrifice is appearance. But really unless judging comes into play, they aren't that obtrusive looking. To my knowledge, I don't think there is a classic appearing or reproduction tire that will out perform a modern tire in handling and wear.

I had the most horrible customer service experience with Coker automobile tires many years ago. I am a forgiving person but it was so bad I refuse to buy anything from them to this day. I do however commend them for making reproduction tires for old vehicles that no one else does and I know people that have been very happy with their product.....though there have been occasional complaints sprinkled in.
                      Last edited by Skirted; 01-23-2022, 11:26 AM.
                      Jason Zerbini

Comment

I really liked the dunlop402s on my modern harley and the new american elites I like even better.
                        But I am curious if people are using modern tubeless tires with tubes,which I know from vintage car owners can lead to problems if the inside is not smooth like a tubed tire.
                        Tom.

Comment

I put the D401s on the Duo-Glide which is very similar to the D402. I too wondered about running a tubeless tire on the tube rim. In the handful of guys in our chapter running tubeless tires on their antiques with tubes, there have been no issues. Back in the day it was widely acceptable to run tubeless radial tires on 16" truck split rims which of course are tubed. I have a 77 F-250 now running same splits with tubeless radials and no issues.

I will say it was a real bastard to get the Dunlops on the rim compared to Avons. I mount all my tires the old fashioned way and have had some challenges over the years but these ranked up there pretty high for difficulty.
                          Jason Zerbini

Comment

Last time I put tires on I used this trick/hack/method:

USE A PLASTIC BAG TO MOUNT A TIRE - Old Cars Weekly

Comment

Wow Paul, that bag trick is something. Might just have to try that one!

Comment

Working...
                              X