Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seat Post Nut and Rod

Hi everyone,

Is there a trick for getting the seat post nut at the bottom of the frame loose? The rod just spins. Tried sitting on the seat and it still just spins.

Much appreciated!

Jim

On the bottom of the springs there is supposed to be a round threaded collar with a "D" shape that locks into the frame and allows the nut to go on and off. It is held by a locknut. If someone assembled it incorrectly you have a job ahead of you. Try an impact that spins it fast, you might get lucky.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Ok, I suspected there was an issue with it. Thanks very much for the guidance.

JIm

Comment

You may have to resort to something more medieval and split the nut. Hammer and chisel, grinder, or worse. Good luck

Comment

Ok, thanks for the guidance on this. Just ordered parts to replace damaged pieces. I’ll attempt to crack the nut.

Jim

Comment

I had the same issue, I used a caveman approach and just held the threaded rod with a vice grip and got the nut broken free. The nut spinning off then cleaned up the threads which had very minor deformation. Sometimes you get lucky.

Comment

I’ll definitely give it a try!

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Architect View Post
                I had the same issue, I used a caveman approach and just held the threaded rod with a vice grip and got the nut broken free. The nut spinning off then cleaned up the threads which had very minor deformation. Sometimes you get lucky.
                That can work, but only if there are threads below the nut, not often the case and they shouldn't be since that can create a whole different problem when the tip of that rod contacts a speed bump, curb, pothole, etc....
                Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post

That can work, but only if there are threads below the nut, not often the case and they shouldn't be since that can create a whole different problem when the tip of that rod contacts a speed bump, curb, pothole, etc....
                  I think the D shaped washer missing inside the frame down tube lets the threaded rod hang down just enough to grab it. It did for me, the D shaped washer was not inside my frame when I disassembled to go to heavy duty springs.

Comment

Update - I discovered there were jam nuts at the bottom of the seat post rod. The end of the rod was damaged, but once the nuts were loose I was able to thread them down and grab the rod with a small pair of Visegrips. Once the seat post was out the fun began! The heavy duty springs installed created more length and a lot of preload. I used a bearing clamp on the spring, held it in a vise, and used a ratchet strap to get the springs compressed to barley start the spring retaining nut. It worked out well, the seat is sprung just right.

Jim
                    Last edited by jim wagnon; 01-07-2022, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X