Indian Horns...Cushion or Spring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian Horns...Cushion or Spring?

In evaluating my current set of horns, (3 that I just had rebuilt by Roger Long and they look great - will post something about that later), I am trying to decide what the correct mounts are for a 41 Four and a 42 Chief. I just sent Roger the bodies with no mounts. Greer's shows springs with spring cups, but I also had a horn with rubber cushion mounts that I found installed on an original body. I also had another original horn that had springs on it. Can anyone tell me what mount is correct? Or are they both? I am assuming that the rubber cushion mount is better at absorbing vibration than the springs, but have no idea. I am leaning towards the springs, but in the end, you don't see them once mounted as they are under the back cover.

RMS
    I could not find my source for this information but; I recall (and I hate relying on my memory). Kiwi Indian had a intermittent newsletter. Before site update one could access back copies from
    home page of Kiwi but this is no longer possible. At any rate I believe in one of those newsletters Mike mentioned a change in horn mounting from rubber to metal springs or clips due to WWII and the rubber shortage. So IF that is true your 41 and 42 would be springs. Again this is just something I THINK I recall. I am no expert so I hope someone else responds to educate both of us.

Comment

Thanks, Paul. I just received a response from Roger after asking him. He said "I have an original 1941 Indian parts list and it shows the rubber mount. I'm not sure about 1942, but they are probably the same. Or, maybe Indian was just using up the 1940 rubber mounts in 1941 until they changed over to spring mounts. I always liked the spring mounts the best."

With this coming from the guy that has seen more Indian horns than anyone I know, and with it touching on what you just provided, it sounds like it could be either rubber or springs for the '41 (all depends on when the rubber was cut off) and probably just springs on the '42.

Comment

Working...
      X