No announcement yet.

1946 Chief front axle woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not. That's exactly the problem that I am having!

Comment

hard to tell what's going on due to all the reflections, but is that a weld bead between the backing plate and the fork?

HIWL6Xql.jpg
      Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Nah, it's just a reflection of the fork tip, along with some gouges in the backing plate that were chromed however many moons ago. I blew up the pic a little here.

Still doesn't get right, but good enough for now. I'll take more/better pics when I rip it apart again when parts show up.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by govmule84; 11-12-2021, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Parts finally came in. Here's a new axle, and here's the amount it's off by. Score a line with my dial calipers, throw some tape on for a guide line, and we're all set.

Let's get to work and make some chips fly.

Much better.

Old on the left, new on the right.

This shot shows the hollow axles aligned at the new shoulders. (I bought a new solid axle, too, the threads on the old one were shot.) You can see how far off the old one was relative to the parts I am working with.

...and here it is in action. Pinch bolts slid right in. I'd call this bike repaired. Thanks for watching and playing along!

Comment

Nice work! Did you get a chance for a ride?

Comment

I finally got it roadworthy the other day. I took it for a ride even with the bad spacer. Last night I just buttoned that up. It started raining, and it still is. I'll try and sneak it out this weekend.

Comment

Working...
              X