Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chief Overdrive Gearbox - Sprung Frame - How to align the engine and clutch sprocket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chief Overdrive Gearbox - Sprung Frame - How to align the engine and clutch sprocket

HI, I have a couple questions and figure this is the best place. I have the 4 speed Gearbox, had it for a few years now. My first question is concerning the "shimming" of the clutch basket:

Here's the documentation:
    Place a puller on the output drive sprocket with the screw centered on the main-shaft and tighten the screw to ensure the internal main bearings are seated. (Don't over-tighten). Leave the puller attached with tension on it until the shimming is complete and the clutch basket nut is tightened and locked. the reason for doing this is assure that the basket is not intentionally over shimmed due to the clutch side main bearing being displaced.
    Gearbox 1.jpg
    Then Assembly of chief overdrive clutch basket: The following instructions are a guide for installing the clutch basket with a few comments as to the reason for following the order of assembly. When you receive your new gearbox the clutch core and basket will have to be removed to allow shimming of the basket to meet the .003 inch alignment of the engine and clutch sprockets as required to prevent damage and excessive wear of the primary chain.
    Gearbox 2.jpg

Ok, I think this is simple enough, I understand shimming and clearances and the need for the chain to be straight in alignment with the engine and the clutch sprockets. What I am asking is how do you take the readings, where are the fixed points? I have dial gauges and can certainly figure out readings with shafts and bushings and such. But I would really like to hear the procedure so I can dial this is perfectly
    Attached Files
    Last edited by NiteOwl; 07-14-2021, 11:08 PM.
    Bob Beatty
    AMCA 19209

Perhaps as simple as running a straight edge from the one set of gears to the other and measuring the offset if any?
    Bob Beatty
    AMCA 19209

Comment

Mike Tomas at Kiwi Indian has a tech video "Kiwi Indian Motorcycles Transmission/clutch overhaul" This is on 3 speed crash-box not modern 4spd over-drive but I think the basics would apply.
      Mike shows how Indian recommended straight edge between Engine sprocket and Clutch basket, BUT he prefers straight edge between TEETH of Engine sprocket and TEETH of Clutch
      sprocket "It is the primary chain that needs to be in alignment". Worth a look.

Comment

Thanks very much. Will go check right now!
        Bob Beatty
        AMCA 19209

Comment

Yup, thats a great video. Thank you very much!!

Bob Beatty
          AMCA 19209

Comment

Working...
          X