speedo not accurate:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speedo not accurate:

sent speedo in to 2 different shops and both say it's operating correctly. rebuilt the speedo drive.. the only thing i can guess is that the drive cable is to long and is binding in the cable sleeve. any thoughts what might be causing it not to read the correct speed?

Are you running the correct size tires?

Dave

Comment

Dave the speedo doesn't operate smoothly, like a normal one does. acts like it's binding

Comment

Try loosening the cable sleeve at the speedometer and see if it affects your problem.

Comment

John, have you cleaned the cable recently? Inner cable comes out easily and you can clean that, and then you can figure out a way to run something like a small piece of Scotchbrite through the outer cable a bunch of times to clear any accumulated grease/dirt/rust. That's all I got right now!
          Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Originally posted by john fretschl View Post
            Dave the speedo doesn't operate smoothly, like a normal one does. acts like it's binding
            If you have a repo cable it could be that the Speedo end of the cable where it connects to the Speedo is too long.
            I had the same issue with a new repo cable, loosen the connection to the Speedo and see if that eliminates the binding.

Comment

Originally posted by TH47Indy View Post
              If you have a repo cable it could be that the Speedo end of the cable where it connects to the Speedo is too long.
              I had the same issue with a new repo cable, loosen the connection to the Speedo and see if that eliminates the binding.
              ME TOO! I had that very same issue. My cable was binding and it would make the needle either not work, or SPRING, SPRING like it was winding up and then it CUT LOOSE. I put a washer on my cable so it wouldn't go in so far.I was told by Terry Marsh that some of the cables are a bit too long and he told me to file some off the end. But, TRY what the other guys are saying about loosen it and also pull back on the cable after you loosen it.

Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Originally posted by john fretschl View Post
                sent speedo in to 2 different shops and both say it's operating correctly. rebuilt the speedo drive.. the only thing i can guess is that the drive cable is to long and is binding in the cable sleeve. any thoughts what might be causing it not to read the correct speed?
                You may want to check the drive after some rebuild miles.The problem with the pot metal housing is when the ring gear starts a groove it allows the ring to ride tight on the pinion,so new gears fail quickly.I shim over the groove if neccesary to maintain the original lash.
                I would disconnect the cable at speedo and spin wheel to see if cable turns smoothly.I have also had this issue and resolved it by leaving the speedo nut slightly loose,but that was more jumpy needle than incorrect speed.
                Tom

Comment

Interesting and since we are on speedo issues I had my Corbin redone on my 440 and when returned the second time after not moving at all the first time it seems that it doesn't move at all until maybe around 15 mph. I rode along with a new bike and I seem to be running about 10+ mph slower than him. Any hints??? Nothing else has been changed.
                  D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

I'm getting the same conditions as you D.A.Bagin, on my recently done Corbin speedo. No movement at all until 15 mph and then consistent 10-15 mph slower than new bikes (several). I'm very interested to hear what responses others may have. It's a 'lil" thing, but it drives me nuts. Thanks............Smitty
                    Last edited by HDSmitty; 02-22-2021, 11:38 AM.

Comment

I am happy it works at all. LOL. It did work smoothly, started moving right from zero and "maybe" was close to being accurate before it took a dump. I'm curious to also see if there is an relatively easy fix rather than starting over again. I guess if it was easy everyone would do it.
                      D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Originally posted by tfburke3 View Post

You may want to check the drive after some rebuild miles.The problem with the pot metal housing is when the ring gear starts a groove it allows the ring to ride tight on the pinion,so new gears fail quickly.I shim over the groove if neccesary to maintain the original lash.
                        I would disconnect the cable at speedo and spin wheel to see if cable turns smoothly.I have also had this issue and resolved it by leaving the speedo nut slightly loose,but that was more jumpy needle than incorrect speed.
                        Tom
                        Hi Tom, to answer, I rebuilt the drive with new brass cut gears

Comment

Working...
                        X