No announcement yet.

51 Chief Front Fender Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good idea with the scissors jack. Could you distribute some of the jacks outward pressure using plywood cut to shape of fenders arc between the jack and the fender itself?

Comment

Originally posted by tfburke3 View Post
      Hopefully your welder is a fabricator sheetmetal guy too.It may seem a small simple job to fill the holes but the potential to make that lower skirt edge wavy is something to consider.
      I would make,or have made, a filler piece at least for the big hole and take the time to minimize the panel distortion,which could be another headache to deal with.
      Tom
      I agree and it should make cleaning up the repair easier.

I’ve found and ordered a small piece of the correct gauge bare sheetmetal on eBay and I’ll cut out appropriately size pieces to take with me to the welder.

Thanks,

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by PaulCDF View Post
        Good idea with the scissors jack. Could you distribute some of the jacks outward pressure using plywood cut to shape of fenders arc between the jack and the fender itself?
        That’s what I’ll try.

Before I do, though, does anyone have a ‘50/‘51 Chief on which they can measure the distances between fork legs?

Thanks,

Rob

Comment

the center to center will be the same as the triple trees,and if you slide in you axle ,with backing plate installed the pinch bolt groove should line up without pulling or spreading the leg.
          I can take a measure if you need it but look at the upper and lower trees.
          BTW I think I would cut some wood blocks about 3/8 longer than the inside id and tap into place.A scissor jack would be awkward I think.
          Tom

Comment

Air wedge?

Comment

Originally posted by tfburke3 View Post
              the center to center will be the same as the triple trees,and if you slide in you axle ,with backing plate installed the pinch bolt groove should line up without pulling or spreading the leg.
              Tom
              That’s straightforward

Comment

Originally posted by PaulCDF View Post
                Air wedge?
                Balloon jack? Cool idea

Comment

Working...
                X