M344 carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M344 carbs

I have 2 Chief carbs, can anyone tell me which coke lever and which throttle lever is correct for a 46 Chief?
    TIA
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Ralph

Originally posted by dommi7 View Post
    I have 2 Chief carbs, can anyone tell me which coke lever and which throttle lever is correct for a 46 Chief?
    TIA
    Dommi7!

The carb on top has a typical HD civilian sidevalve choke lever (and both throttle levers appear to be HD as well.); The bottom choke lever was the Linkert Indian design.

....Cotten
    PS: Please note how both HS needle knobs are small, "late" ones, yet the LS knob on the bottom carb is a fat earlier one.

My only clue as to when Indian Linkerts may have switched to the smaller knobs is that HD did by '50, yet much of the fossil record that has crossed my benches suggests that fat knobs were produced on earlier 344s, transitioning to small knobs by'48 at least...

And we have no evidence that they would have worried if the knobs matched!

PPS: Please note that neither of the floatvalves have the NPT thread. The brass bowl nut is another enigma, for which I can only offer conjecture.
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 02-07-2021, 06:34 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Thanks Cotten. Appreciate the info!
      Ralph

Comment

The throttle lever should look like this, Dommi7...

Indian throttle lever.jpg

And you will need to die-chase the floatvalve with a 1/8"NPT die if you have a fuel filter like this...

m344f.jpg

....Cotten
        PS: That last example was a conservation of a very nice piece, and it also has a fat LS knob with a skinny HS!
        Last edited by T. Cotten; 02-08-2021, 06:26 PM.
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
        X